Anyone ever been?

Specifically looking for thoughts on safaris - be it Chobe or the

Okavanga Delta.

I'm backpacking, but can arrange in advance from London but trying to

keep those costs sensible - please help!!! Will post plenty of photos

when back!!

Neil

Hi Neil,

I've been to Chobe (Kasane), not backpacking, but with a bunch of South Africans with 4WDs. As far as I understand it Botswana is really not set up for backpacking. Most of the accomadation is expensive, & that's the government line - they want few, but rich tourists. Most lodges do have camping though, as the budget option. Entrance to the national parks is quite pricey too, and of course you have to have a 4WD vehicle, a proper rugged one - not the Knightsbridge variety.

<br>

<br>

If you're alone you'll have to think how to get around, and I guess for a safari you'd have to try & tag along with an existing group, if you can find one. Going into a park alone would be extremely foolhardy - there are lots of creatures there for whom you are just meat - and with the remoteness of some of these places even a breakdown is potentially fatal, Safaris generally have at least two vehicles for that reason.

<br>

<br>

It is however a fantastic place, huge distances and seemingly endless bush with just the odd elephant, giraffe etc, and that's not in the national parks, that's just normal Botswana. It's not that easy to make photos though as it's very flat - at least the bit that I saw (more or less up the NE edge).

<br>

<br>

Our driver/guide was a guy called Cecil, he lives in Kasane. Oldish white colonial type, born & bred in Africa, incredible expert on birds, and everything else, and one time professional photographer, Oh and a geat guy too! I can't remember his surname, but I imagine if you asked around Kasane you'd be able to find him, whether he'd be able to take you anywhere, & how much he'd want I've no idea though.

<br>

<br>

Maybe you've done your homework & know better than me what to expect as a backpacker, but thought I'd share my knowledge, however limited.

<br>

There are a few of my pics on <a href=http://website.lineone.net/~nick.bryans/> my web site </a>, in the Africa bit, pretty lousy scans though, I'm rescanning them now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hi neil go hitchhicking i think this will be no probem there, if you take the border crossing at Mpandenmentenga to zimbabwe you drive in a safari park that will cost you nothing and have plenty off lions and other pets. we cycled ther and it was nice!!