Bosnian Wedding

mark_englehart

<p>Hello,<br>

I may have (we are having our initial meeting next week) a client that is having a traditional Bosnian wedding and I was wondering if anyone had some information as to how these kinds of weddings typically unfold. I've done traditional Christian weddings and I have done Bar and Bat Mitzvahs but I am unaware of what takes place at a Bosnian wedding. The bride to be knows full well that I am inexperienced in this aspect but I did a (non Bosnian) friends wedding and she loved the pictures. I dont want to unintentially disrespect the couple, their friends, or their religion. I will be researching this further of course but was hoping for real world experince.<br>

Thank you,<br>

Mark</p>

<p>I find that most people will talk openly about their culture if questions are asked in a truly open manner without judgment. I believe that all you have to say is that you are not familiar with a traditional Bosnian wedding and that you would really like to learn everything about it so you can photograph it appropriately and also capture important moments you may not have recognized without the couple's explanation. </p>

<p>It is a great opportunity to learn about another culture and/or religion. I would jump at the chance to hear someone explain their [any culture foreign to me] traditions and beliefs. Its a big world, and being ignorant doesn't mean the same thing as being stupid. Once you realize you are only ignorant, it only opens you up to what you could be learning from someone if you would only ask. </p>

<p>Good luck with it all, and enjoy it!</p>

<p>Jen</p>

<p>Ya, good thoughts Jen. When people come into my studio with something different or unique (religiously, culturally) I am so excited to have them share the details, and normally they are very excited to tell me all about it. They normally end up being the best, cause you get to do different stuff, think outside your normal ceremony box. I would just ask them for the details, and get excited!</p>