Boring

<p>Does anyone think the image content on photo.net has become boring? Another sunset, another nude, very little real creativity. There was a time when the creativity here was dazzling. Now it seems to be the rare event. The photographers who regularly shared outstanding work seem to have either fallen asleep or gone elsewhere. There is still the occasional wonderful image, but they seem harder to find. Does anyone else feel this way? Is it just summer vacation with images piling up to be shared?</p>

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I guess I am also part of the problem. I should share more. I do have a number of projects I have been working on. They are not quite ready for real time. When I made my living from this I had those deadlines to meet -- several times a day. As a hobby it is much more on my time.</p>

There's an old joke from the heyday of Playboy Magazine. If someone sas you with a copy, the "cool" response was

to say that you only read it for the ARTICLES (as opposed to the photos of naked 20-year-olds).

Occasionally, if someone here says something interesting in a discussion I'll check out their portfolio, but I never

browse just to browse. To paraphrase the old Playboy joke, "Yes, I surf photo dot net, but I only come here for the

articles."

;-)

<p>I will get around to it Mike. I'm old enough that I no longer post for points, but comments from the dozen or so photographers on here whose work I really have come to appreciate. I am lucky enough to be old enough to have spent some time with really talented artists, including a summer with Adams in Yosemite back in the late '60s. The main issue for me is formatting very large files to fit on PN without losing much. I have some stitched files of 40 or more images that fitting to this format is tough. I have also been working on a project of producing a different view of frequently viewed locations. Attached is an image from the Lincoln Memorial at sunrise.</p>

<p> </p><div>00Z8sR-386475584.jpg.92acdc26731bf94833d665bb35257795.jpg</div>

<p>I disagree John.</p>

<p>I have 22 photos in my favorites at this time. No sunsets, but nudes are included.</p>

<p>I think they are all exceptional works. And very creative, and inspirational. Every one of them is wall worthy, in my estimation.</p>

<p>I just put them in there to bookmark the photographers, because usually the rest of the body of their work is as good. And its easy to check out the rest of their stuff this way, at any later time.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Does anyone think the image content on photo.net has become boring? Another sunset, another nude, very little real creativity.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Its relative isn't it?, Some people might think orchid images become boring after awhile. Others might might not see the creativity involved with repetitive images of a cat's face. Statutes someone else's creativity made? Landscapes? Do photo.net really need any more of those?</p>

<p> http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=1110391</p>

<p>John, you have photographed a common subject in an uncommon manner. Fine composition and a good example of non-conventional (or as you describe it, "boring") photography. You are right about the appearance of many cliché photographs, but perhaps when one is relatively new to photography that is normal. </p>

<p>Personally I look at about half good and half bad photos. The good photos are wonderful and I give praise as needed. The poor photos I leave what I hope are constructive comments so they become better photographers. If you have seen the same sunset for the 10th time suggest ways to spruce up the shot and give it interest. We get a lot of novice photographers here and putting up their sunset shots is meaningful to them.<br>

The point is hopefully our goal here is to raise the waters, poor photographers become better, seasoned photographers continue to share their work to inspire the rest of us. And we really do have fantastic photographers here.</p>

<p>John, though none of these will be to everyone's tastes, I'd say they're not boring. Maybe you'll find something worthwhile here.</p>

<p><a href="../photos/fjaygoldsmith">My photos</a>, <a href="../photodb/presentation?presentation_id=470198">Billy's photos</a>, <a href="../photodb/member-photos?user_id=5606660">Marjolein's photos</a>, <a href="../photodb/member-photos?user_id=3770455">Gordon's photos</a>, <a href="../photodb/member-photos?user_id=1556202">Carlos's photos</a>.</p>

<p>Douglas, wonderful comment. Really inspiring!</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>I've got to say that I'm always amazed by the quality of images I see when I click thru the links at the bottom of the page on the Monthly News Letter. I do look at quite a few images over time, but never to the point where I don't see something new. The talent is amazing on this forum. Really tho, we can only build on what has gone before.</p>

<p>I smell what the OP is steppin' in, but there's plenty here to be fascinated and inspired by.</p>

<p>One particular photo that gets me every time is from Street Photography forum's <a href="http://www.citysnaps.net/blog/2010/04/20/were-all-in-this-together/">Brad Evans</a><a href="http://www.citysnaps.net/blog/2010/04/20/were-all-in-this-together/">.</a><br>

I can't stop staring at that photo. I'd swear some of those characters are P-shopped in, stuck there like some creepy Colorforms figures.</p>

<p>Also, I dig the slice-of-life-in-Spain photos of <a href="http://www.luistriguez.es/fotos/index_fotos.htm">Luiz Triguez</a> who always seems to have an appropriate photo in the No Words forum. His photos remind me much of my favorites from Gianni Berengo Gardin.</p>

<p>I look forward to the frequent posts of <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=3667779">Subbarayan Prasanna</a> who not only resurrects crusty old Soviet beasts offering them tender loving care, he whips up some "home brew" that he soups his negs in and shares the scanned results with some fascinating commentary on the changing urban and sub-urban landscapes and demographics of his neck-of-the-woods in India. </p>

<p>There are plenty of others who deserve praise and admiration. I even enjoy the thoroughly boring, banal photos on P.net, especially ones shot on film. That means there's still somewhere out there creatinbg a demand for more fresh film to be manufactured.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Douglas said it very well.<br>

I wouldn't say there are many boring photos. There are some fantastic and outstanding photos here, and some that may need improvements. The one thing I and quite a lot of others maybe should focus more on is the critiques - that is learning to give good constructive critique and doing it on a regular interval. It's a very nice way to benefit from one another. Giving a critique is also learning, since bringing into words why something does or does not work for you forces you to study images - and those lessons come back behind the viewfinder too.<br>

Sure one tries to fill the portofolio with nice work, but it's als an useful thing to put photos there of which you feel there is potential, but not quite the result - in my view, you benefit most from getting good critiques on those.</p>