Books about Large Format

marc_leest1

Hello,

I am considering stepping up from 35mm to large format (4x5)

Being a 20 year advanced amateur in the small format (and a little

tired of the format), I am looking for some standard books about large

format camera's, techniques, do and don'ts. (Practical hints are

welcome to, of course) Thanks for all suggestions.

Sinar does a nice series both about their cameras and topics such as architecture, landscape and people (tilted and featuring toward their products, but good all the same).

Keep reading this forum. Maybe you also want to take one of the many great workshops available. Another thought is to rent some equipment before making any final decisions.

Regards,

John Bailey

Marc, Leslie Stroebel's books are considered to be the bibles of large format photography. Look for the latest editions about how to use a view camera. Also, if you can get your hands on a copy of Fred Picker's Zone VI Workshop book, you'll find it to be a treasure trove of info. on large format, as well as general photography. You're going to be facinated by the possibilities available with large format when you begin to get into it.

Marc,

It occurred to me that if you happen to live in the Los Angeles area you can take a View Camera workshop offered by Los Angeles Photography Workshops. This is a new venture by John Richardson and Phil Bard, two excellent photographers. The workshop, entitled "View Camera Technique," is on Aug. 3, costs $175, and could give you an idea if you will like large format. You can rent a camera from Calumet or Samy's to use during the workshop. If you are not in the LA area, perhaps there is something similar nearby.

Stroebel is good on the basics. The Sinar books seem to be unobtainable but the Architecture book is great for ideas and inspiration. Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz book 'Medium and Large format Photography' is quite good and nicely unintimidating as an introduction.

I would second the 3 Ansel Adams books - they give a good overview of the whole process at a reasonable cost (plus you can miss "The Print" out if you are not printing).

I would also second the point about hiring some gear for a while if possible - the jump from 35mm to 5x4 inches is an order of magnitude larger than the difference in negative sizes....

Cheers,

I always suggest the Kodak book,"Using the view camera",it is an easily understood book.The books above are also good,especially the Shaman tome.Id avoid the Merklinger books like the plague though.(he is a well meaning professor that takes a few simple concepts,and makes them too confusing to comprehend.)

The greatest thing about LF is that for a few hundred you can delve into it,and delve out with your money back if it isnt for you.In all honesty if you havent a darkroom,or access to a big dollar scanner,the grand results you seek may be lost in commercial processing & printing.Good luck & have fun!

Harvey Shaman's book is what they recommend for beginners in LF at the ICP (International Center of Photography). That's "The View Camera", by Harvey Shaman. I would start with that. Everything is explained very clearly, step by step. And there's quite a lot to learn from it... Only then, when you get more proficient, and have got used to your camera and to taking pictures with it, would I suggest exploring Ansel Adams and or Fred Pickers books.

Marc, after thinking about it over night, I realized that, since you have been a small format enthusiast for twenty years, you are probably familiar with the Ansel Adams books and the many small format magazines on the shelves. You can familiarize yourself with the world of large format photography by susbcribing to View Camera magazine. Look up the website (viewcamera.com), and you will find the subscription info. Or, go to your local Barnes and Noble bookstore, take one off the magazine rack, sit down with a cup of Starbucks coffee, and enjoy.

Hi:

Thanks guys, for the most helpful comments.

Soon I am going on vacation (Spain), so I ordered

Using The View Camera from Steve Simmons,

View Camera Technique from Leslie Stroebel

Large Format Nature Photography (Dykinga, Jack W.)

Probably I will order the other advised books when I have my equipment.

The standard works of A. Adams i.e. The Negative and the Print are already on my bookshelf.

I have my own B+W darkroom so I am looking forward to get started.

Thanks again. Marc.

Best way to learn large format is to buy a 4x5, tripod, focusing cloth, polaroid back and lots of polaroid film -- 52 or equivelant... Use the camera without movements for a few weeks until you are comfortable with it, and make a lot of Polaroids. When you feel like you know it well enough to get something out of it, then look into a book for info on movements. Unless you do a lot of architechture work, or commercial stuff, movements are pretty overrated. Writers love to talk about view camera movements because it's easy to write about - but unimportant. More important is making interesting pictures, but that's difficult to write about.

And "Basic Photography" by Langford has some good info on movements. Les Strobel was an instructor at RIT when I was there, and his book seems like the typical _ _ _ horse____... Picker's "Fine Print" has a lot of good stuff about view camera movements.

And please -- get a good tripod. The tripod is more important than the lens or the camera. If the camera isn't still, "that dog ain't gonna hunt" as they say in Missouri. -- Anthony

Hello,

I would like to contribute for french speaking readers, as I am myself a newbie, in the same situation as marc Leest;

the best book, in my opinion, is:

"la photographie en grand format" de Pierre Groulx

éditions Modulo

here is also a link to a very good site, fed with useful technical information:

www.galerie-photo.net

thank you for reading, and congratulation for this wonderful forum, from which I learn much