Book Review Forum

mark_drutz

<p>I received an e-mail from another member, Mathew Hargreaves, concerning my mention of Ansel Adams book, "Ansel Adams in Color". He suggested that we have a Book Review Forum. I think that's a great idea. Books are one of the joys of photography for me, but you can't tell much about a book by its cover. That's why I think that a book review forum would be very useful.</p>

<p>What do you think?</p>

<p>[moved to site Help forum]</p>

<p>We actually have a Photography Books forum but it was deactivated some time ago. The few posts it did receive are still in the database and it could be brought back to active status. On average it received less than one post a month, sometimes going several months between posts. In addition I don't think there were any actual reviews posted. Some posts pointing to other book reviews. Some announcements of books. Some people asking about books etc.</p>

<p>It's Josh's call whether such a forum would be useful and generate significant traffic or whether such posts would be better seen in other forums.</p>

<p>

One thing to consider with forums is not how interesting it would be to read them but whether there would be anyone to write them.

<p>

Anyone actually wanting to write a real book review might want to contact our managing editor Hannah Thiem who could decide if publishing it as an article on photo.net was a better approach then posting it in a forum.

<p>Bob, we are surely many that read books on art and photography that could be interesting for others here on PN to know about. I don't know what a "real book review" implies but I'm sure that any reference to interesting books with some elements of information on content, some quotes and a personal appreciation of the book could be written by many around on PN. I think it might be good to have a place to hang such "reviews" - but I agree that a genuine forum might be somewhat to overshoot the subject. It might also be an occasion of informing this general Anglo-Saxon come-together about books written in other languages than English/American.</p>