Book Recommendations for Photojournalism

anne_kerr

<p>There are of course LOTS of picture books by superb photojournalists - the list is endless - W. Eugene Smith, Don McCullin, Alred Eisenstaedt and a 100 more. The number of people who have dealt with photojournalism in words and really know what they are talking about is much smaller! I have been impressed by this book by Harold Evans:<br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pictures-Page-Photo-Journalism-Graphics-Picture/dp/0434905534/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367413650&sr=8-1&keywords=pictures+on+a+page+harold+evans">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pictures-Page-Photo-Journalism-Graphics-Picture/dp/0434905534/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367413650&sr=8-1&keywords=pictures+on+a+page+harold+evans</a><br>

and would recommend it as a starting point - I am sure other people will have other ideas.</p>

<p>Hi Anne,<br>

I was with Focal Press for years and one of the bestsellers was Photojournalism by Ken Kobre. It was used globally as a textbook, but it isn't intimidating and textbookish. I highly recommend. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/075068593X/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0240806107&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VS33QSKBWGK64E0TCXG">Here is the link to read more about it.</a> </p>

<p>A lot depends upon what aspect of photojournalism you're interested in focusing on: ethics, getting work, preparing for shoots, telling stories, etc.<br>

A recent book that has just come out that for my money, is the most practical book out there for photojournalism work is: A Photojournalist's Field Guide by Stacy Pearsall. Stacy served in the US military in their combat camera group, was awarded a bronze star in Iraq, did multiple tours. Very practical book....everything from....getting measured for body armor to using fingernail polish to help identify your "stuff" so it doesn't develop legs to prepping for long trips to shooting tragedies and pain to telling stories to caring for equipment. The only real practical gaps I saw in this book were: (1) it doesn't deal much with shooting domestically in the US (makes sense--her experience is overseas with the US military), (2) it doesn't cover a lot of freelance logistics on being overseas (visa, connections with the Embassy, stringing, embed programs, etc.) which again makes sense she the US military handled all of that for her, and (3) working with editors. But it's an amazingly in-depth and details practical guide (exactly what the title says: a "Field Guide") for new photojournalists, especially those who may be covering conflicts.</p>