Bonneville Salt Flats - Photography Tips?

jennifer valencia

<p>hello everyone,<br>

I will be taking a trip to Salt Lake City, Utah in the next month. I've always wanted to visit the Bonneville Salt Flats. I will be bringing my Nikon D700 with me to take pictures. Can you offer any advice or tips on photographing the flats? If you've been there, are there things that worked esp. well? Thanks in advance for any advice! Also, if you have ideas on other good places to take photographs within the Salt Lake City vicinity, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.</p>

<p>Jennifer V.</p>

<p>It's very... white... Be sure to have sunglasses. Since it is most famous for speed I had more fun driving around than taking pictures. Antelope Island within the Great Salt Lake is an interesting place. There's a causeway that you can drive across to get there. Mt. Timpanogas National Monument is also very pretty.</p>

<div>00Z7Qk-384799584.jpg.e3947a5cc5fbd65bcb1094310aef370d.jpg</div>

<p>To me Bonneville Salt Flats = fast (and not so fast but still great) cars and other vehicles so should you happen to hit Bonneville in August 11-17 when SCTA holds their Sped Week races or when USFRA holds their World of Speed in September (14-17 this year) you'll see sights out of this world :-) Well worth photographing: just get a variety of lenses, some action is far away but you can literally touch the participants in the pits and on the starting line.</p>

<p>thanks, guys. :) I appreciate the kind offers of help with all the equipment, lol. I am not going to be there for the car racing, unfortunately. But I hope to get a cool vista-type shot of the curing horizon, and maybe some close-ups of salt crystals. I will also check out Antelope Island if I can. </p>