Bokeh pronunciation?

<p>'Bow' (like a bow-tie, not a bow-wow from a dog), and 'keh' (rhymes with the "eh!" you say when you shrug your shoulders, not "ay" as in bouquet). But many people here think you should pronounce it "the aesthetic quality of the out of focus blur rendering" because if you use the B-word they become appoplecticeh.</p>

<p>Apoplecticeh! :-) made my day.<br>

But I will dissent from your pronunciation guide Matt. While instructive for our American friends, to a Canadian the sound made while shrugging your shoulders would be "enh?" and the pronunciation of "eh?" is definitely a Long-A "ayy". Which would cause a Canadian following your advise to say "bow-kay". Which we've already established should be pronounced "bow-kuh".<br>

I love words!</p>

<p>You're right, David. I was of course referring to the "eh" used in certain mid-Atlantic and Appalachian regions. Obviously, this does not apply in New York, where they say "meh!" or in regions of the west coast, where they say, "what-<em>ever</em>!"<br /><br />Kerry's pronounciation is an obscure regional colloquialism that refers to something else entirely.</p>

<p>It is supposed to be a loan word from the Japanese verb ぼける (暈ける) <em>bokeru</em> -- "to blur". The <em>boke</em> part in this case is also the noun -- "[the] blur". In Japanese the vowels are pronounced as in Latin/Italian (and the consonants as in English).</p>

<p>So Matt's suggestion is correct -- <em>bo</em> as in "bow-tie" and <em>ke</em> as in "eh".</p>

<p>Hey David, if you love words, this should make your day!<br>

The old 'Nikon' story: Is is nigh-kon, knee-con or nick-on?<br>

The American home page audio is 'nick-on'. Here in Canada we say nigh-kon.<br>

Had a Japanese girl-friend who said in Japanese it is 'knee-kon'.<br>

My name is Clay Lawton, which she pronounced as 'Cray Rotten'<br>

"Cray, you is Rotten', ha! Loved it and her.<br>

Best regards,<br>

/Clay</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Japanese verb ぼける (暈ける) <em>bokeru ... </em><strong>Japanese cowpoke ... bokeru ?</strong><br /><strong>Yippee kiyeah.</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<strong><br /></strong>

<p>The 'u' in Japanese is pronounced like the 'u' in the English words 'run' or 'rug', not like the 'oo' in 'kangaroo'.</p>

<p><em>Bokeru</em> is pronounced: BOW-keh-ruh. The pacing and emphasis of syllables is similar to 'bakery'. No buckaroos here! ;-)</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 'u' in Japanese is pronounced like the 'u' in the English words 'run' or 'rug', not like the 'oo' in 'kangaroo'.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not true. But an "u" at the end of a word is usually almost not pronounced at all, unless it is a "uu"/"ū".</p>

Butch, it is indeed a very soft sound. The Japanese link a vowel sound to every consonant. They can't imagine a k by

itself. It's either ka or ko or ku, etc. Ku at the end of a word would be close to the sound of just a k by itself, but there is

still a small, breathy sound that the u adds.

Of course they have words like juu (the number ten) that have a very strong 'oo' sound, like the English boo or chew.

<p>The "h" in "bokeh" is added to aid romanization of a Japanese phoneme. This is mostly to prevent English speakers from pronouncing the two syllables "bo" and "ke" like "broke" without the "r". The correct pronunciation is more like "broken" without the "r" and "n". The Japanese do devoice their vowels somewhat, but in a way that clearly identifies the vowel. Attempts by English speakers to devoice the vowels sound like insincere attempts at familiarity to the Japanese, and they generally expect non-native speakers to conform a little more closely to formal Japanese and to voice the vowels more clearly.</p>

<p>BTW -- "nikon" is a three syllable word. ni-ko-n. The "n" is not quite like the English "n" however; it's a nasalization, and the tongue does /not/ touch the top of the palate.</p>

<p><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh">Bokeh</a><br />Let me go ask my Japanese friend and get back to you. I learned it as, and I've always used "bo-kay" as pronunciation. It's what I've always heard, it's what the net says... Never really thought to ask before. The only times I've heard "bo-ku" was by people who were unfamiliar with the word and it's origin.</p>