I am considering the purchase of a Bogen 488RC4 ball head, which

comes with the 3271 plate. I have an EOS-3 and a 10D along with

several lens of which the largest range from the 70-200 F4L to the

100-400L.

To get the most efficient use of this head, I assume I need to get

extra plates for these two lens. Can anyone tell me if this plate

works OK with the base of the lens collar on these lens? They look a

lot larger than the base.

The Bogen hexagonal plates are too large to fit in in most bags when attached to a camera or lens. On the plus side, hex plates are available with L-brackets to prevent rotation. The small, beveled Bogen plates do not have anti-rotation provisions. The latching mechanisms of Bogen QR clamps depend on spring tension for security.

You should consider Arca-Swiss-compatible plates and clamps. A good source of hardware and information is www.reallyrightstuff.com. A/S clamps are much more secure, and the plates are custom-fitted for many cameras and lenses. The A/S clamps can be adapted to some Bogen ball heads.

These items cost more than the basic Bogen system, but you'll buy some convenience and peace of mind.

Several answers, none of which actually answered the question. Mike is asking about the

488RC4, which doesn't use hex plates -- that's the 484RC0. Someone else recommended

the architectural plate, which fits the 488RC2.

I've never used the RC4 QR system, only the RC2, so I can't actually answer the question

either...

If you really like the 488 ball head, get the plain one with the 1/4-20 stud and jam and buy an ArcaSwiss style clamp with 1/4-20 thread from AcraTech or Kirk. Then buy appropriate ArcaSwiss plates from AcraTech, Kirk, RRS, or Wimberley. Costs a lot more but you won't outgrow the ArcaSwiss style clamps and plates.

The Bogen RC0 hex, RC2 3157, and RC4 3751 plate styles really don't work well for bodies and collared lens feet. IMO: The RC2 architectural variants (have anti-twist stop) of the 3157 come the closest, but you have to turn the clamp 90 degrees when switching from body to collared lens.

I agree with Craig's response. Don't get the Bogen QR system. I used to use a rectangular Bogen QR, but the problem is this: the plates are covered in rubber. You end up with a wobbly system, especially when using it on a lens tripod collar. After I had an expensive Micro Nikkor lens nearly unscrew itself off one of these plates, I gave them away to my father-in-law (who uses them with Leica M3s).<p>Get the Arca Swiss type plates, especially the ones custom designed for your camera or lens. Those are the ones that Really Right Stuff, Kirk, and Wimberley sell. While costly, they hold your expensive gear solidly, as you have metal to metal contact. There is no twisting, as they have anti-twist flanges milled into them.

Okay.. to answer your original question.

I would not use the 3271 with those lenses. The ones I looked at are

too light weight for the heavy stuff. The RC0 (Hex) or RC2 (square) systems will work better.

I use the RC2 QR system. No slips no rotates no drops no losses.

The 3157 plate is heavy enough to hold my Nikon 80-200.

You should get the architectual plate 3157NR for the lens.

The plates snap into the QR base and have a lever to snug them as

well as a safety clip to lock the lever. I stumbled across a plate that fits the RC2 QR and will lock in either direction, that's what I

use on the Fuji S2, so no 90 degree rotate problem with my 3265 action head. With a 488 ball head who cares? The body goes on one way the lens another ... it's a ball head, right.

I looked and tried the ARC mount, I prefer the snap in solid to a slide in(ooops didn't tighten the little nob enough, there's $5K on the ground), slide out mount.

I liked the look of the RRS stuff but the cost and the slip out paranoia stopped me.

Just my 2 cents...

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering the Bogen / Manfrotto 488 as well, and i have a couple of doubts...

1. Could I change its original quick release system (RC2 or 4, i don't like that hex. plates) and mount an AS compatible clamp in its place? I don't have the money right now to buy a clamp and plates from RRS, but i'd like to do so in the near future.

2. Do you think this head will work properly with a nikkor 180 2.8 (800 gr) + D100? It's not a lot of weight, but i understand that the "claimed" supported weights of the ball heads are not very helpful.

I did some research, so for anyone interested:

1. Yes, you can dissemble the bogen quick release plate and mount any other in its place. BUT, you would probably have to apply some heat (a hair drier will do it) to the head because it has a loctite or similar glue applied on the thread.

2. Yes, it seems that it will hold a 180 2.8 or a 80-200 2.8, but no more than that.

I will probably buy it so i will post my own judgement then.