Bogen / Manfrotto 3021BPRO Tripod with 3029 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head

m3rdpwr

Okay, when I was in class this was what we used.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=284777&is=REG

If you look at an enlarged pic of it, that is the Pan/tilt head that came with

it.

However, when you look at what BHPhoto says it includes it shows something

different. They claim it is the replacement which I verified.

804RC2 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head with RC-2 Quick Release

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

O=product.jsp&A=kitInfo&Q=&sku=434497&is=REG

The max weight spec is lower on this new head.

I've also had (cheaper) tripods with quick releases and I din't think they were

all that great.

My question is has anyone used both the one shown in the first pic as well as

its "replacement equivilant".

Although the ~4 lbs difference in support weight may not be an issue, I just

really like the way the old head worked. I don't know the part number, I just

know from the pic on BH.

In terms of what it will hold, my 20D, as big as my 70-200 F4, Custom Brackets

Jr Flash Bracket, and 580EX Flash. Sometimes with the battery grip.

With the cheaper tripod I had, I could never get the screw tight enough that

with the camera tilted on its side it would just be too heavy and cause it to

spin down on the plate.

Hope I didn't forget anything.

Thanks for listening as all of you always have had some good advice for me...

-Mario

There's a tripod forum?<g> I think this is a fairly new head with new materials. That could be the difference in weight. I opted instead to go with the 3047 hex-plate head. I have about 10 plates mounted to my cameras and long lenses and it works beautifully. It's not much more money, and I found I like the hex-shape better for quick mounting.

Oops, clicked send too soon.

I'm sure that some shops sell Manfrotto legs with head already attached, but most seem sell the legs and heads separately. It is easy enough to mount a tripod head to legs. Why not pick the head that meets your needs, and the legs that meet your needs, and assemble your complete solution? The last Manfrotto head I mounted on Manfrottto legs took about 3 minutes to assemble.

In terms of "complete solutions" as you call them -- have you looked at the Calumet tripod/head combinations. They look just like Manfrottos (probably because they are) and are priced very competetively.

OK Mario, maybe I missed the point of your quesiton. If you are asking "is Manfrotto 3021 a good tripod" then the answer is yes. They are high quality and have been quite durable for me. I've used Manfrotto for over 20 years. You probably could get by with a lighter weight Manfrotto but you won't be disappointed with the extra capacity. Manfrotto has good leg locks that are adjustable if/when needed. For heads, I'd suggest the 3047.

My wife has a 3030, same as a 3029 except with a quick release, and it works quite well. She has it on a 3001 BPro tripod, for which it's a good match. She has an optional "architectural plate" with an extra bracket that keeps the camera from rotating when it's on its side. I think such plates are available for all the Manfrotto quick release variants.

The Manfrotto design allows you to snap the camera/plate on without touching the release lever, which is very convenient.

I too have been confused by all the bogen/manfrotto models...a "problem" appears to be that they last forever so there are tons of older models in existence which have been replaced with newer versions. Fortunately bogen maintains and excellent database of past and current models at their web site which can be searched by SKU. Here is the link to their tripod/head page:

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/catlist.php3?sectionid=1&manufid=1

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update.

I got this last week and used it twice since.

I like the older head better as I think the grips were longer, larger and felt better to grip.

Otherwise, a real solid piece and was great when I had to use it to hold my 20, custom brackets, 580 flash and flash softbox.

-Mario