pdoyle

Does anyone have any experience with the 'Pro' version of the Bogen

3021? Apparently the only real difference from the regular (chrome

or black) 3021 is that the center column can be extended

horizontally to allow shots straight down, away from the tripod

legs - do you like this feature? Have you also found it useful for

reaching over an obstacle (hedge, etc.) that blocks placement of the

tripod legs for a normal, parallel-to-the-ground shot? Or is it

better to just stick with the regular 3021BN legs?

i would get the Pro for the reasons you mentioned.

besides it is only $15 more and only 3oz. heavier

i am deciding on the 3021 pro or the 3443 carbon

i dont think the wife wants me to spendd the money on the carbon one though

I just got the Bogen 3021BPRO a couple of weeks ago to supplement my Bogen 3051 and to replace a very old Linhof tripod I have had since the 1960's. It is probably the most versatile tripod I have ever used.

Just yesterday I needed to take a shot from nearly ground level. Rather than remount the head on the low-level adapter (the only way to do this with a standard 3021), I just put the column in sideways and rotated the ball head for a normal camera position. Then I splayed the legs out to nearly flat, and voila!!

I can imagine many other situations where the sideways column will help. Not all of these situations would be shooting down, either. An example would be shooting a photo over a wall (imagine the top of a city building with a short wall around its perimeter). The tripod could be against the wall, but not straddling it. The camera, however, could be over the wall.

• 9 months later...
I played around with a black 3021 Pro today. I am constantly amazed at how well built Manfrotto tripods are. It feels as if they are carved out of granite! The leg position locks and extend levers feel like they could squash a carrot. And the metal tubes, good grief, they weren't messing around! I was amazed to see that without a head, the 3021 fully extended was just slightly under my 5'10" eye level. It felt so weird not having to bend over so much! And to those who suggested the neato horizontal with head on it's side to shoot over walls, thanks! I'll remember that once I get one.