Blue Ridge Parkway - what's the more scenic segment?

JamesFarabaugh

<p>I'm currently in Greensboro, NC and will be driving to Beckley, WV. I thought this might be a good opportunity to see some of the Blue Ridge Parkway and get some nice landscape, architecture (old bridges, railroads, churches?), and possibly wildlife photos. Looking at the map it seems I have two choices. 1) drive west and grab the parkway in NC (near Boone) and take it up to the 77 in Virginia before continuing north to Beckley. or 2) head north and grab the parkway in Virginia at the 77 and follow it up to the 64 (near Buena Vista, VA) before heading west to Beckley.</p>

<p>Which of these two is more scenic? It's too early for color change down here in NC, but is that the case up in VA? Is there a huge time of travel difference between these two courses? Any other options I haven't considered? Thanks for all your advice!</p>

<p>I have only traveled the second route of your options. It was several years ago, but I remember the scenery as beautiful! The Blue Ridge Mountains are aptly named. As for wildlife, I recall that deer were everywhere! There are probably some bears in the area, but I didn't see any. Enjoy your ride!</p>

<p>It's too early for serious fall color anywhere on the Parkway yet, but more color will be found the further north you go. Either route is good, it really depends on how long you are prepared to drive. The Parkway is a slow, winding road, and if you get behind slow traffic you will be on the road for a long time. It once took me over an hour to drive about 12 miles on the northern part (in the morning, there was fog).</p>