blue ridge lens

dennis_brabender

<p>I am going to try and make a trip to the blue ridge parkway in October. Last years trip didn't pan out. I was thinking on updating my lens. I have a D7000 currently but I someday I imagine that I might upgrade to full frame. I currently have a tokina 11-16ii, tamron 90 macro,Nikon 35 1.8, 50 1.8 D, 18-55 version 1, 55-200vr, 18-200 version 1, a decent manfrotto tripod ballhead, singh ray polarizer and VND filter (for waterfalls), sb400 and sb910 flashes. Most of my current lens would not work on FF. I realize people say to buy lens for your current setup not for the future but buying a new camera and then all new lens would be a big investment for me.<br /> I was thinking maybe a mid range zoom in the 16-85 range? I could probably swing the 70-200 2.8 or f4 which would make the leap to FF but not sure that it would be a good match for the BRP. I am interested in the 80-400 afs but not at the current price. I am not stuck on Nikon just looking for a decent lens that could take sharp pictures probably 2.8 lens (?). <br /> Thanks for any advice that you might offer</p>

<p>I can't imagine that your 11-16 (stopped down to, say, f/8) or your 35/1.8 or your 50/1.8 (again, both stopped down - that's what tripods are for!) wouldn't be capable of very satisfyingly sharp results on that D7000. The kit lenses and that 18-200 have more compromises, and could show some softness depending on the focal length used. So if I were to pick a weak spot in your line-up, it would be at the longer end - something that one of those 70-200's would handle very, very well. <br /><br />At what focal lengths do you find yourself shooting when you're out in that sort of setting?</p>

<p>What is the problem you're looking to solve? You have lenses that can take good sharp pictures; for landscape work, having f/2.8 is not necessarily an advantage (larger lens, with less range, and you'll use it stopped down anyway). If the goal of the lens is mainly landscapes, the 16-85VR is really an excellent landscape lens; but for events and such, it's too slow. Something like a 70-200 could be the right answer too... depends on what the question is. Simply put, without understanding better what you're looking for, it's hard to give a real answer.</p>

<p>If it was for myself, I'd get rid of the 18-55 and 18-200 first and foremost, and get a better midrange zoom, probably the 16-85VR since the 35 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.8 already are in the bag for the times you need a fast lens. The 55-200VR is not a bad lens, so I'd keep that while saving for the longer lens you want. But that's based on my needs and wants, so it could well be completely useless advice too.</p>

<p>Knowing little about BRP other than what I found on Wikipedia, I can't see much that you'd need more than your current lens selection for, with the possible exception of squirrels (for which you're probably looking at replacing your 55-200 with a 70-300, or spending much more money getting any longer). If you want some <i>different</i> images, either a fish-eye or tilt-shift might be interesting, but unless you're really taken with them then I'd hire rather than buy. A 70-200 f/2.8 is a lovely lens, but it's a big heavy thing designed for journalism, sports and wedding photography (mostly), and it seems unlikely that either the low light support or depth of field control are going to be all that useful for your trip. Good news! We're saving you money. :-)</p>

<p>+1 to what Matt said. <br>

On the BRP, I was just down there last month; you'll find that there are a lot of overlooks but some have been left to grow up so that you can't see anything. It's a nice route to take. I liked Skyline Drive a little better; it's a better-quality road and the overlooks are tended to. What area of the BRP are you visiting? Part of it is closed near Asheville.</p>

<p>When I shot on the Parkway around Roanoke I used mostly wides.14mm f/2.8 20mm f/2.8 and the occasional 35mm f/1.4. I had a 80-200 with me and might have used it 5 times in the two weeks i spent on the Parkway.I spent a lot of time out of my car and on the trails. I also learned really quickly that being in shape in Florida my home state did nothing to get me ready for walking back up the side of a mountain. It got me to think very hard about how much I was going to bring with me when I left the car.</p>

<p>Where I see a gap in your lenses is between the 16 to 35.</p>

<p>This was shot on the BRP using my 35mm f/1.4 and my at the time brand new D100</p><div>00btZB-541804484.jpg.eec01854151a2a84a5cb5ab31778abbb.jpg</div>

<p>I don't know where I am going just heard that BRP was a great place for fall colors, waterfalls etc. (none of that in Fla) I just am looking to get away from Florida and see some different scenery. I have a brother in Cary NC, no real plans just time off and gas money. I have a Grand Caravan if I have to I can just sleep in there lots of room with the seats folded down.<br>

never been to BRP that's why I was looking for advice on most used focal lengths<br>

as far as selling lens there is not much resale value I'll probably keep them for situations where I wouldn't want to expose a more expensive lens, I also have a D40 and a dicapac waterproof bag to try out <br>

I didn't realize that BRP is closed by Asheville. How long is it supposed to be closed? I was thinking Boone to Asheville, waterfalls (I have Kevin Adams NC waterfalls book) maybe go all the way to wherever just want to take a photographic trip. Thinking of picking up Nyes BRP book for research<br>

I too am from Florida, at least lately, so anything larger than a pile of dirt will look like a mountain to me</p>