Blue Haze On Film Photos

I keep getting a blue haze on some of my film photos. Its very random and I dont know if it is from the camera having light leaks, lens flair or if it is happening during processing. Can anyone help me out?

I am shooting on a leica m6 with a zeiss 35mm biogon and self develop at home in a paterson tank.

Thanks for your help!

529683639_ScreenShot2018-04-25at7_37_55PM.thumb.png.66a69044b6cc9d1d05c17fd817474ef3.png 1040506422_ScreenShot2018-04-25at7_37_13PM.thumb.png.3eca40aa8e6e05ceb6f236f1374b678b.png

I don't think it's flare. The defect is the same in both images, and the lighting is significantly different between the two images. Furthermore, light is coming from behind the camera on the first image, which argues against it being flare.

Looks to me like the film was lightstruck. Could be a light leak in the camera, or during the processing steps. Could the film door have been accidentally cracked open? Are the light seals intact around the film door? How was the film processed?

Wilmarco Imaging

Wilmarco Imaging, on Flickr

wilmarcoimaging on Instagram

I don't think it's flare. The defect is the same in both images, and the lighting is significantly different between the two images. Furthermore, light is coming from behind the camera on the first image, which argues against it being flare.

Looks to me like the film was lightstruck. Could be a light leak in the camera, or during the processing steps. Could the film door have been accidentally cracked open? Are the light seals intact around the film door? How was the film processed?

Im thinking it maybe the film door letting a little light in. There is a new bit of give in the door over the last month or two when the base plate is securely on so I wonder if that is causing it. May be time for her to head to the shop...

• Like 1

It looks like a light leak to me, and the blueish cast to the streak makes me think that the film was exposed through the base-the orange mask on negative film tends to do that.

I'll admit a complete lack of hands-on experience with any Leica M-series cameras, but I'm actually kind of scratching my head as to how the camera could fog the film at this location. It's going to be along the bottom of the film gate. From what I can see, the M6 doesn't have any foam seals at all, much less in that location. Still, if it were mine I'd give some close scrutiny to that area.

• Like 2

You could try sending a roll out to be processed. That might eliminate the tank.

I'm leaning toward a light leak during processing. Are you inverting the tank or using the 'twizzle stick'?

Are you sure all seals and central pipe are present and fully located in the tank? Have you checked your changing bag or darkroom for light leaks? Although the streak looks too regular for random fogging.

Some 'black' plastic tanks are translucent to infra-red, which could possibly be another cause if you let sunlight fall on the tank during processing.

I'm not too keen on Paterson tanks. Their liquid sealing isn't too great, and they can be a pig to load.

Anyhow. Just bouncing around some possibilities.

• Like 2

You could try sending a roll out to be processed. That might eliminate the tank.

I'm leaning toward a light leak during processing. Are you inverting the tank or using the 'twizzle stick'?

Are you sure all seals and central pipe are present and fully located in the tank? Have you checked your changing bag or darkroom for light leaks? Although the streak looks too regular for random fogging.

Some 'black' plastic tanks are translucent to infra-red, which could possibly be another cause if you let sunlight fall on the tank during processing.

I'm not too keen on Paterson tanks. Their liquid sealing isn't too great, and they can be a pig to load.

Anyhow. Just bouncing around some possibilities.

Good idea. It is odd how random it is which is making me think its the cameras door. I am very consistent with developing and have had many rolls come through without issue.