Blogger corrupting uploaded photos - worked fine until recently

dan_south

<p>I have been using Google's Blogger tool to create photo blogs for some time. Typically I upload JPEG files that are 1024 pixels on the long side. This has worked very smoothly. The photos have always looked just as I expected them to. That is, until about a week ago.</p>

<p>The last couple of photos that I uploaded look to have been downgraded significantly in quality. Once they reach the blog page, the images are grainy and the contrast has been modified in a startlingly unflattering manner.</p>

<p>Was the Blogger tool modified in some way? The quality is no longer suitable for a photography blog. I may need to migrate to another provider.</p>

<p>It's been awhile since I uploaded anything to Blogger. I'll try to check it out tomorrow and see what's up. The shift from the old Picasa online site toward the Google+ model took a little getting used to. In some cases photos and images didn't look right when embedded, attached or dragged and dropped into Blogger. But I haven't used it for several months.</p>

<p>The mystery has been solved, but the explanation is a bit complicated.</p>

<p>When you add a photo to a blog post in Blogger (Blogspot), the photo is stored in a Picasaweb gallery. Even if you have not actively set up galleries in Picasaweb (I had not), one is set up for your blog photos.</p>

<p>Blogger and Picasaweb, being Google products, are tied into Google Plus settings. Again, you don't need to be a Google Plus member. It all seems to happen magically in the background.</p>

<p><strong>Google Plus has added an "auto enhance" option for photos, and by default, that option is ENABLED.</strong> To disable it, you'll need to log into Picasaweb (using your Blogger credentials) and navigate to a Google Plus Settings page. </p>

<p>On the Google Plus Settings page, navigate to the Photos section - there might be more than one section for photos, so keep looking. Here you can uncheck the Auto Enhance option if you prefer. I highly recommend switching it off. </p>