Blending multiple images(soften edges)

<p>I want to put multiple images into one image and then soften/blend the edges so I don't see the hard, square edges of each of the original images. I have PS Elements 7 and Lightroom.<br>

I looked on Adobe's sight and the "help" I get is for Layer Masks, which seems to be what I want but for whatever reason it's not working for me. First off they say to select the paint brush tool. Well, I have "smart brush" which only gives me effects like blue sky, etc... which I don't want.<br>

I just cannot get my head around how this is supposed to work. I am not the most experienced at Elements, really only use the basics and I ahve purchased pre made templates and have no problem getting most of what I want. But for some reason this task eludes me.<br>

I am thinking I obviously create a new layer, and "paint" the area I want to keep or discard and the end result is a nice softened edge around the picture and where the pictures overlap.<br>

Thanks for any help. This is frustrating me and I know it's fairly simple.</p>

<p>I don't know about PS Elements, but in PS you'd select the layers you want to blend and choose Edit > Auto Blend Layers – it does a superb job in most cases.<br>

Not sure whether there is a similar command in PSE though.</p>

<p>Stitching programs like PTGui are nearly foolproof for this task, best described as a 2-dimensional array. For good blending, you need a 25% overlap between frames. PTGui will rotate and slide the frames for best fit, match the exposures and blend.</p>

<p>The attached image is a one-dimensional array of four images shot in vertical position.</p><div>00WnME-256689584.jpg.46279550fd1a617d3469e65ace080fbc.jpg</div>

<p>PS Elements supports layer masks only on adjustment layers and fill layers. You need full Photoshop. That is one reasons Elements costs $90 (retail) while full Photoshop costs $699.</p>

<p>I do not have Lightroom, so I am not familiar with its features and restrictions.</p>

<p>You might try painting with the Spot Healing Brush to blend the edges.</p>

<p>Brian,</p>

<p>Are you trying to blend images to make a continous image (e.g., a panorama), or are you trying to make a montage?</p>

<p>Theoretically you can do anything in Photoshop for panoramas that you can do in PTGui, but it's a LOT harder to get good results. I have CS4, which is a lot better than CS3 in this regard. Maybe CS5 is better yet, but I wouldn't count on it. At the other end of the scale, there's a reason Photoshop Elements is called "Elements."</p>

<p>PTGui requires all the components to be the same size, and they must represent a contiguous scene. If you are assembling disparate images of random size, you are creating a montage, for which Photoshop is well suited.</p>

<p>One way to disguise the edges in a montage is to draw an irregular mask outlining the subject, "feather" the edges appropriately (e.g., 20 pixels), copy to preserve transparency and paste into the montage. The pasted image can be moved around on the canvas with the arrow tool. You can also resize and rotate the selections. The ultimate reference is probably "Masking and Compositing in Photoshop" by Katrin Eismann.</p>