Blank roll with Pentax K1000

laura_manyoki

<p>I've been shooting with my K1000 for the last 6 years (it is a used one from '76). I'm not quite a beginner, but by no means am I experienced and would greatly appreciate any tips and tricks.<br>

I just received my first blank roll ever and have been racking my brain for possible reasons. I got two rolls back from the lab. The first one was great up until the last couple photos which were very dark and had some light leaks, and a couple of blanks. Then my second roll was completely blank.<br>

It's possible that the film slipped/I didn't insert it properly, but I've never had this problem before. Also, if anyone has any tips with knowing if your film slips without opening the back that would be great!<br>

Lastly, my lens has been making a rattling noise recently and I just noticed that the focus ring is slightly detaching from the aperture ring (if that makes any sense at all). Is this the obvious reason for the blank roll? I've been shooting with this rattling noise for quite sometime and haven't had a problem with my photos until now.</p>

<p>Once again, any help would be greatly appreciate!!<br>

Cheers</p>

<p>Film slipping: Usually an issue of loading discipline. Make sure you wind it beyond just the leader, so that the upper sprockets catch perforation too. After closing the camera and doing the recommended blank shots before the first frame you can try to tighten with the rewind crank and feel if it that crank gets turned while you wind towards the first frame.<br>

Hard to comment on your lens without holding it. - I believe it is unlikely that a lens falling apart or even worn out is to blame for light leaks. The film lays most of the time behind the FP shutter and behind the rear flap which might have some foam light seals that might need replacement by now. < - Sorry I am no K1000 expert / repair tech. - I have one, it used to do fine and if it needs a CLA it might get one, if the 35mm SLR mood strikes me again. <br>

Back to lenses: I'd check if the aperture mechanism is still working and rely on seeing what I'll shoot on the ground glass until the lens falls apart. - I guess it is more likely to get a 50mm f2 in better condition than to get yours repaired for the same money in the Euro GBP US$ zones.</p>

<p>Did the blank roll have the usual edge numbers? If so, you can rule out a processing error. The most likely cause for this is improper loading. Your description of your lens doesn't sound like it would lead to blank film, but a repair/replacement sounds necessary.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>If the film does not have the edge markings, it is almost certainly a processing error.</p>

<p>If it does have the markings, there is another possibility that I haven't seen mentioned. The K1000, like the Spotmatic before it, has a cloth shutter that consists of two curtains. The first curtain opens and, after a short period, the second, or trailing curtain begins its travel to close the shutter.</p>

<p>At shutter speeds of 1/60 or slower, there is a moment when the shutter is completely open. At faster speeds, the trailing curtain begins its travel before the leading curtain completes its movement. This results in a moving slit across film. The higher the speed, the narrower the slit. At very high speeds, such as 1/500 or 1/1000, the slit is only about 1/8 inch, if that.</p>

<p>In older cameras, the grease can harder and springs can weaken, such that the leading curtain slows down. This allows the trailing curtain to catch up. At very high speeds, there may be no opening at all. If you shot this roll in bright light, at high shutter speeds, this is a possibility.</p>

<p>The good news is that this fault can be fixed relatively easily by a technician, such as Erik Hendrickson. The bad news is that the fix will probably cost more than a K1000 is worth. A decent example can be had on eBay for $50.</p>