<p>I got my film developed by a lab recently. I sent out 6 rolls, all C-41. When I went to pick them up, I was alerted that one roll did not turn out. I was disappointed, but didn't think much of it until I got home and saw the roll. It looks like undeveloped film. Completely blank, not transparent at all, no markings along the sides. It was the exact same type of film as the other rolls and the other rolls all turned out alright. Same camera was used for everything. I called to ask about it and they said the film was probably bad. Does that happen? And how?</p>

<p>Film does certainly deteriorate and become less sensitive over time, but I wouldn't expect a developed roll to be <em>completely blank</em>. What was the film type exactly? What was the expiration date on the box? How was the film stored before exposure?</p>

"...not transparent at all..."

You mean the film was black not clear except for base color? With the edge marking gone also it sounds like the film was opened and exposed to strong light to burn the film black. If the entire film was as black as the bit of leader tongue that sticks out from the film cartridge, then that is what happened.

James G. Dainis

<p>I had one once where the minilab didn't close the door all the way. They knew it, and immediately gave me a replacement roll and free processing. (The usual lab policy.)</p>

<p>If it is completely exposed, black all the way end to end, it is most likely in the lab. If you open the camera at the wrong time, it is not easy to expose the whole roll. </p>

-- glen