Blank exposures?

<p>I just wanted to say thanks to everyone first for all of your help. I just developed my first roll of B&W Kentmere 400 and it's just gorgeous!<br>

So I shot a 24 exposure roll and got lovely results I just have to get them scanned ^_^. However, six of the exposures came out 'blank' and by blank I mean clear. Except for one which just has the barest hints of my cat's face. The ones that came out I shot outside and the ones that didn't were inside. So I think I didn't adjust my shutter speed or aperture at all. And being absent minded that I am, I think that's what I did.<br /><br />My sister even did this too when she started photography. Does anyone else know what might cause this and how to prevent it in the future? I couldn't find any other information on it either.</p>

<p>Since most of the images were good, the blank ones could be caused by forgetting to adjust exposure or camera malfunction. What kind of camera did you use? The reason I ask is that some electronic cameras can develop problems in stopping down the lens (like orginial Maxxum) so the the lens ends up at minimum aperture even though the meter calls for f3.5. The fault was a weak electromagnet in the lens, IIRC. If your camera is manually operated (mechanical shutter) then the culprit could be a lens that temporarily sticks at minimum aperture (due to oil on aperture blades.) But again, as you said, you may have forgotten to change exposure settings. Maybe try a another roll of film to be sure. </p>

<p>Are there any visible edge markings on the "blank" negatives? Sometimes that's useful as a rough guide to determining whether the error was in the camera, processing or user. Keep in mind edge markings are only a very rough guide at best - not all film manufacturers are consistent about the density of edge markings, so don't rely on it as a guide to development.</p>

<p>I'm using a Konica Autoreflex TC with no batteries. From what I researched about this model I don't need a battery to operate this camera not unless I want the meter and I'm on just too much of a tight budget for mercury oxide substitutes. I already had to accept the fact this camera can't do double exposures!<br /><br />I left the shutter speed at 125 which is meant for the outside and then I moved it the wrong way. Meaning I moved it to 200 when I should've moved it to 30 or 60. And I didn't adjust the aperture. I left it on AE I think...<br /><br />I really hope this is just me not knowing how to use a camera and not the camera its self.</p>

<p>Try 675 zinc air hearing aid batteries. They're affordable and a reasonable substitute for 625 and similar mercury button cells. Be sure to check them about once a month - they'll need to be replaced every 2-6 months and may leak if left exhausted for too long.</p>

<p>For a better understanding of how exposure conditions work, take a peek at <a href="http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm">Fred Parker's Ultimate Exposure Computer</a> charts and tables. It will clarify the relationships between light values in various situations, ranging from nighttime to sunlight and indoors. Correlated that with the film speed and you can easily see the range of appropriate shutter speeds and apertures.</p>