find. I don't live close to a major city, but can drive to the Twin

Cities (or chicago this summer) to pick them up. I have only been

able to find this large foam core in big expensive lots (i.e., up to

a few hundred dollars for something that has to be shipped to me on

a garage-filling palette). I only need 4-6 count and I don't want

to drop tuns of cash on just plain old panels when internet photo

stores sell frame and nylon sets for around $40-70 that will do

basically the same thing.

Seems like you outta be able to find something (or rig up something)

that would work pretty cheap somehow, since I just want two black

surfaces that tape together. Am I crazy for thinking this, or what?

I attended a matting class in a matting shop in town and saw many foamcores with different sizes they use for matting. They are about 4' X 4';solid and light weight . I am planning to get some from my local art shop this week for my outdoor portrait. It is a great idea to glue a white one and a black one back to back. Thanks for the tips.

Hiya Randy. It's been a year or two since I ordered about 6 4x8 foot sheets of fome-cor for our studio (it seems to last quite awhile if it's not too badly abused). We ordered from an outfit called Superior Specialties that had distribution outlets in NY, Chicago and San Francisco, although I think they're based in Appleton Wisconsin. http://www.superspec.com. They also sold studio props at the time. Savage corp. (that makes backgrounds) may also be able to help you out. If you can avoid trying to carry the stuff home by car, I'd do that. In its full-size form, even when wrapped in shipping cardboard, it's pretty awkward to handle, especially if you happen to have a smaller care or get caught in a crosswind :>) Try B&H as well. If they don't sell it, they can probably find you the vendor who will just send you the quantity you need.

Oh, and you're right about using it for bounce and fill. Great stuff.

Mark

Hmm. Thanks for the tip. Just looked at superior. They have a nice selection of backgrounds, but I didn't see any large foamcore sheets. Maybe I need to call them.

I checked out BH throroughly. I called bandh about a year or so ago when I ordered my first studio light. Back then, the salesmen didn't have a full length piece of foamcore (at least that he could find). But had some smaller ones (about 3 feet). Seems like something they would have, though. Maybe I should call again since it's been a while. I don't know....

Just call all your local frame and print shops; and see what they carry. This stuff is really easy to get crushed. Most of us have it delivered by truck. The UPS/UPUS/FedEx ground guys seem to use it as football practice pads :). If just for reflectors; you might get a great deal with the print or frame shops dented pieces. Often then have some that are warped; dented; and will see just for a a few bucks each.

This stuff basically cost more to ship and pack; they what it is worth. You want to pick it up yourself; and avoid goofy shipping fees. In 24x36" ; 32x40"; 40x60"; their is usually 25 sheets per box; if the thin 3/16" stuff. Gatorboard is thicker; more rigid. Sign shops carry the plastic "coreplast" stuff. This looks like a plastic version of corrigated cardboard.

This stuff basically cost more to ship and pack; then what it is worth. You want to pick it up yourself; and avoid goofy shipping fees. In 24x36" ; 32x40"; 40x60"; there is usually 25 sheets per box; in the thin 3/16" stuff. Gatorboard is thicker; more rigid. Sign shops carry the plastic "coreplast" stuff. This looks like a plastic version of corrigated cardboard.

There is only one framing shop in town that may be worth trying, because I don't know exactly what they have. The hobby store and mall framing shop do not carry this kind of stuff.

Maybe, I can scout out some frame shops in the twin cities and pick some up the next time we may a day trip, though. That gave me an idea that sounds more promising....

<p>You might check to see if Pearl Paint, Dick Blick or Artist and Craftsman Supply

have locations near you. Any of these art supply houses will have what you want and

will sell it in single sheets.

<p>Websites for each:

<br><a href="http://www.pearlpaint.com">www.pearlpaint.com</a>

<br><A href="http://

www.artistandcraftsman.com">www.artistandcraftsmansuply.com</a>

<br><a href="http://www.dickblick.com">www.dickblick.com</a>

<p>-m

Get the 4X4 sheets and glue them to large sheets of cardboard to make whatever size you want. Spray the backside with dull/flat black primer or paint, this would allow you to use it either way. You might want to put a hinge in between the 2 4X4 sheets so it can be folded in half for traveling. The other option would be to make a lightweight frame to hold multiple pieces, this would allow you to use them without an assistant.

I have used a large sheet of cardboard that was spray painted with flat white on one side and gold on the other. Seemed to work just fine.

You can probably buy white and black (or any color) poster board locally. Every school kid needs it at least once a semester for science fairs and other presentation projects.

Tape together as many as you need. Wide masking tape is good enough - the little bit of cream colored tape won't make any visible difference in the photos with white poster board. You can use black tape (not electrical tho' - too gummy) on the black poster board if you like.

I've used this stuff for years as makeshift reflectors. Foam core is too expensive and fragile. I can toss poster boards behind my pickup truck seat with the jumper cables and air compressor and they'll still be white enough to be useful for months.

I have three tripods but no lighting stands. I just elevate the tripods as high as they'll go and tape the joined poster board to the heads and legs.

If you want something sturdier there's gator board. But I'd probably buy some real photo lighting reflectors before buying a bunch of gator boards. Large photo reflectors can be twisted up into smaller circular shapes for compact storage.