Black vs Silver Cameras

cy soto

I understand that this is a vague question and that it all boils

down to personal preference but, I'm going to ask this question

anyway...

Is there a particular reason why some people prefer a black

Leica vs a silver one (or vice versa)? Does it have anything to do

with one camera being more of a collectible item than the other?

maybe having a higher re-sale value? could it be that a particular

finish atracts less attention to the camera? Whatever it is, I'm just

currious to hear some opinions.

Fashion. Preferences comes and goes. Remember a few years ago when one couldn't get a black stero. Then it was champagne colored.

"Pros" are suppose to prefer black ones, but then again, you see Ralph Gibson walking around with his Ti M6.

For some reason I think blacks are more "a la mode" right now and have been for a while. When the rest of the world finally go 99% wizz-bang digital, I think the retro look of the classic M3 in silver/chrome will be more in favor.

If I'd were to get a MP, I'd go for a chrome. :-)

It seems to be true that no one notices a black camera, especially one as small as the M. I have had zero (0) people approach me and notice the black M6. The chrome M2 I used to own got much more attention, especially from women. They seemed to appreciate it as an objet d'art or jewelry, though, not necessarilly as a camera.

I prefer black mainly because it suits my mood. :-)

The silver chrome finish holds up better than any of the black paint finishes used over the years. Black chrome seems to scuff up a bit from heavy useage but it's harder to wear through to the brass than paint. Black used to be considered the "pro" finish in 50's, 60's and into the 70's. Then first lenses followed by camera bodies started to proliferate in black finish. There are times when looking "pro" can be an advantage. Other times you might be better off passing yourself off as an amateur, even on assignment. These days you can't tell by the camera's color. Silver probably does keep the film a bit cooler in the sun. My CL is black, the M bodies are all chrome. A chrome CL body would be nice, though!

This one's been done to death but...

Once upon a time, all cameras were finished in brass but brass goes green unless you polish it so 'luxury' cameras were finished in gloss black paint.

Then someone, possibly at Zeiss, realised that you could chrome plate camera parts which made them look more expensive so everyone wanted chrome cameras. But come the sixties and war photographers who didn't like getting shot decided that all black cameras were less likely to be spotted by bored snipers with nothing better to do so suddenly anyone who wanted to be thought a photo journalist wanted a black camera (preferably with the brass showing).

In the seventies and eighties the trend was for happy snappers who could afford a SLR to buy a chrome one to keep up with the Joneses while the wannabe pros went black. With me so far? Phew. Then in the nineties, Japanese camera manufacturers realised they could make more profit from plastic bodied cameras. Unfortunatley, the processes for 'chroming' them were frankly naff so the marketing departments pushed the idea that a big black plastic bodied camera was dead sexy.

Understand me so far? Good, 'cause that's more than I do...

As I've said many times before on this Forum, black is THE professional standard--all other finishes on cameras are merely pretenders. You can take a picture, yes, with a chrome camera but you can't take a <I>Photograph</I>. It's that simple. Black cameras make photographs, people don�t. Sure, a titanium finish may not show any wear for a thousand years, but who wants that? And silver [chrome]? Buy a Schwinn, a Hyundai, a Tamron lens while you�re at it.

When the Contax T3 first came out, I decided to hold out for the black version which Kyocera later announced would soon be available with black accessories. As soon as it came out, I plopped down $750 without batting an eye. The only <I>cameras-of-another-color</I> I have are a Nikon F and a Hasselblad 500 CM. I only use the F for copy work, so there's not too much likelihood that someone would actually see me using it. I've never had any trouble with the Hasselblad, but then traditionally the chrome Hasselblad has been the more prevalent version. If you have no pride in your professionalism, then go for the common chrome and titanium finishes and watch as your subjects get up and leave when they see you pointing it at them. Be ready to blend in with the "point-'n-shoot" crowd with their other chrome and ersatz titanium-finish, 18-250mm-zoom-equipped, polycarbonate toys. Real men wear black and that means their accessories, too. This shouldn't even be a decision, it should have been inculcated as a reflex, genetically hardwired into every real, professional photographer. Pass it on, Man. The reason manufacturers send out the flashy, shiny silver cameras at first is to hook those gotta-have-the-latest-thing amateurs whose early purchases finance the R&D <I>and</I> the black paint for the professional models. A professional bides his time and, like a Buddha at the threshold to Nirvana, lets the less enlightened enter first with a polite �After you (with your chrome camera).� ;>)

One other thing...

<P> My chrome doesnt attract any more attention than my black. But, when it came time to pick up a second body, I decided to go for a .85 in black. .85 because of the ability to focus more precisely with high speed lenses wide open, and black because usually when Im shooting at f1, its low light, and the white on black shutter is MUCH easier to read...

The REAL SIMPLE answer: I chose black when I got my first Leica last December when Leica and retailers started to dump M6TTLs because: Tamarkin chopped the price; the $200 rebate was still available; and when I called Tamarkin, they had NO .58 finder bodies left AND no silver bodies left in any finder magnification. Made the choice easy.

I got my 1st M4 in silver in 1971 because it was used and that's what was available. I got my 2nd M4 last week in silver because a black one (chrome or paint)would have cost 3x as much. My M6's and M7's have all been black because I like the way it looks better than silver. If I were getting an MP I'd get the silver because the black paint finish is not as durable.

It couldn't be simpler, really. If you tend to wear dark clothing, get a black body if you want to be less conspicuous. But if you work at the jousting pit at the renaissance fair, get a chrome body to blend in with your shining armor.

I dislike the glare of bright sunlight from chrome surfaces, so my preference for a black finish is personally a practical consideration based on using cameras outdoors in often tropical daylight. Maybe a matter of small importance (along with a lot of other chrome vs. black reasonings) but I find the black finish more self-effacing in actual use.