about longterm appearance. I had the opportunity to speak with a

experienced Leica Rep about this concern and here is what it came

down to.

Most Preferred by North American Market: Black 3:1

Chrome is more popular in Asian markets for the "Classic Leica Look"

Wearing of various finishes:

Black Paint: Great wear characteristics which when worn will "Brass"

Black/Chrome: The more Common Black available on M6 or M7. Does not

matter which body it is on even though one has a Zinc top plate (M6)

and one has a Brass Top plate (M7). They WILL both wear white before

they wear brass. Black Chrome is the finish and it will pass through

the whitening phase before it wheres to the base metal.

Chrome: Well it doesn't really wear or reflect wear until it hits

brass or zinc.

Finally: The whitening (for lack of a better term) of the black

finish is not age related but strictly wear related. It will not

oxidize etc over time and turn white. It wears a shade lighter.

This haven been said, and given the truth that Silver/Chrome Lens

don't look good on a black body I am doing the patriotic thing and

joining the 2/3 of my fellow Americans in going black....As they say

after going black you will never come back....We will see...

PS: Wearing White does not imply that the camera will turn white but

will lighten from the pitch black to a muddled black so many of us

are familiar with.

I kinda like the looks of my champaign colored Bessa-T with a collapsible champaign chrome 50mm Summitar and a Russian 5-turret multi-focal finder. That Camera/lens/finder combo looks like something out of "A Clockwork Orange" and NEVER fails to elicit comments and curiosity when I am shooting with it in the field

My experience is Chrome is more resistant to scratches (I don't mind bright marks so much).

Also by your logic, Chris, you should opt for the chrome body since both black/silver lens look good on chrome bodies.

Personally I agree with Bill that SOME silver lens look gorgeous on blackbodies, but this is very model specific. You must be careful about the pairing. Chrome collapsible on a black IIIf is also very handsome.

That said, I prefer BLACK modern lenses since they are lighter (and some like the Trielmar only comes in black). Which means I should opt, for max utility and good looks in the morning after, for a chrome M-body.

Johnson

I think chrome/silver lenses can look great on a black body and

looks better than a black lens on a chrome body. JMPO [just my

personal opinion]. the saying that once you go black you never

go back -- doesn't that apply to ermm, something else? *AHEM*

Jerry, I must confess that I spent a non-zero amount of time pondering the chrome vs. black issue. After all, when one is presented with a choice one is presented with an element of uncertainty, and possibly confusion. A feature suddenly becomes a benefit, and is endlessly debated (I'm sure Leica is laughing all the way to the bank).

Of course there are endless circle jerks amongst the collector types (equipment polishers), debating the nuances of black chrome vs. black brass, three lugs vs. two lugs, and so on. I guess that's what separates the men from the boys, or in this case, the users from the collectors.

The M7 is a good case in point. The chrome only comes in the 0.72 magnification, whereas black is in all three.

Best regards. Semi-boy.

I think both black and silver bodies look attractive. When I ordered my M6TTL .72, I asked for a silver-chrome body but the dealer could only get black-chrome from his Hong Kong supplier so that's what I ended up with. I was quite happy with a black .72 but, a month later, when I ordered a .58 body, I asked for and got a silver body. The reason I wanted the cameras in different colours was so that I could easily tell which is which. Since I use a Motor-M with both, the silver one is mostly black anyway!

When I was in my 20's I thought black cameras looked cool. That was 30+ years ago. Most of my Leicas are chrome, some of my lenses are black, and I no longer give a damn. It's the great glass and reliable bodies that keep me in the system. Most folks under 30 don't recognize the things as cameras anyway. The don't have softly rounded contours with a bulge or two, huge optics, and the unmistakeable look of plastic. I had one young lady, after telling her that it was indeed a camera, ask why there was no LCD screen on the back!