Black Rapid Snap

hakhtar

Re: the Black Rapid Snap RS-Sport 2 that attaches to the tripod mount (lens or camera). Any experience of this

helpful aid, particularly is the tripod mount on 5DII or 70-200 f2.8L IS II strong enough to safely hold the

combine weight of the camera and lens.<div>00abyX-482051584.jpg.85770e1d9b30b8497125ff370824d50c.jpg</div>

<p>After one outing with my new EF 100-400mm IS L lens ( 92mm x 189mm, 1,380g) and a Canon EOS 5D mark ii (152.0 x 113.5 x 75.0mm, 810g) on a regular Op-Tech strap, I took a member's advice and ordered the Black Rapid RS-5 (<em>NOT the RS-2</em>) and it works superbly. I can 'wear' the camera and lens all day and hardly feel that I'm carrying anything.</p>

<p>Your EF 70-200 f/2.8 L is (84.6mm x 193.6mm, 1310g) roughly the same as the 100-400, so I'm sure the RS-<strong>5</strong> would work fine.</p>

<p>The RS-Sport 2 is narrower, and I would wonder if that would be as comfortable with so heavy a rig. I cannot find any "weight limits" at the Black Rapid site (<a href="http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-5/">link</a>), nor do the specs seem to be in the pdf instruction files. My guess is that the nylon is going to hold on just fine, and the hardware is probably the same. So it comes down to whether you're going to like the width of the strap.</p>

<p>So far, in the joy of new owership, I have only used this with the large lens. I rather suspect that changing lenses would be less convenient, and that for lighter ones, a regular camera strap is going to work better. It means potentially carrying two straps along.</p>

<p>I carry the exact same kit, Strap, Camera with grip, Lens, and tried it also with the 1D MK III. No problem. A lot more comfortable if you use the Tripod Mount of the lens. Otherwise, if you use the camera's tripod Mount you'll end up with a bruised leg.</p>

<p>The tripod socket on the camera and the lens support the full weight of the camera and lens if you flip the tripod head to place the camera and lens in portrait orientation or if you point the camera and lens straight up or down. That is what they are designed for. I use a Black Rapid RS-5 clone with a 60D and Canon 100-400L with no problem.</p>

<p>My gear isn't as heavy (usually D60 with battery grip and 28-135 is), but I can attest that this is a great way to carry my camera. The biggest inconvenience for me is, when I want to use a tripod, I have to take the strap off and put the tripod shoe on, which is pretty minor.</p>

<p>I use the similar Sun Sniper (chosen because it has a wire line woven into the strap) and would not hesitate to recommend that anyone with an SLR should use one. I have a Canon 1D MkIII and even with the 100-400 zoom attached with a monopod I hardly feel the weight of the outfit at all. It feels a lot safer than the supplied strap. I always make sure to firmly tighten the screw into the tripod mount and make a point of regularly checking it, just in case it works loose, mine never seems to but better safe than sorry. If you are not using a tripod I would always use the lens mount as this gives a better balance and keeps the strap more out of the way when shooting.</p>

<p>What you have shown is not the "Snap" model. The Snap is intended for point and shoot cameras. The RS-Sport 2 you have pictured <strong>is</strong> designed for DSLR cameras and I'm sure it does a good job. I have the RS-5 Cargo model which does a superb job. I can carry my camera with a 100-400 or 70-200 all day without neck strain or fatigue. It leaves both of your hands free and keeps the camera/lens remarkably out of the way until you need it. </p>

<p>I use the DR-1 which is essentially two RS-2s since I sometimes shoot with 2 bodies. I have no hessitation using it with my 1Div + 300 2.8II if I am going to not use a monopod. be sure to moisten the rubber casket a bit before screwing in the stud (on the lens tripod socket for anything 70-200 or bigger) and periodically check it is not working loose which it never has for me. <br>

switching back and forth with a mono/tripod is easy. I can carry the camera ready for quick shots on the strap and when I am going to be in one spot for a while just unscrew and mount on pod in less than a minute then when I move to a new spot put it back on the strap.</p>

<p>More detail - it does seem to work best with the tripod mount on the LENS. In my case, I found it most convenient to twist that part so it was on top of the lens. Then I discovered that position, in turn, led to my clothing rubbing the 'mode' control dial on top and <em>changing</em> it*, so I twisted the lens mount around a little more to make the camera hang a little away from my body. No problem since.</p>

<p>_______<br /> *it reminded me, for example, that even with IS, aperture preference may not be the best shooting mode for a long lens.</p>

<p>I had a "similar" strap by another manufacturer, but I was not entirely satisfied with it. That design connected one of the camera's strap attachment eyelets with the advertised advantage that it left the tripod socket free. I do a lot of walking/hiking and found the camera bounced/swung around a lot at my side--too much so to be comfortable. I went back to my camera-issue strap which attaches to both eyelets and find that results in less camera swinging/bouncing and is much more comfortable than a single attachment point. I know the Black Rapid straps connect to the tripod socket in either the camera body or the lens. Is this a better balance point than the camera strap eyelet approach and does it result in and acceptable and limited swinging/bouncing of the camera? I see the picture on the Black Rapid web site that shows a guy holding onto the camera body with his hand when he is walking at what appears to be a rapid pace. This was something I had to do with my earlier strap to limit swaying/bouncing, but my arm eventually gets tired from the holding. With the 2-attachment points of the camera-issue strap I can walk hands free.</p>

<p>My experience with the strap is that it is more stable than the normal, 2-attachment point straps for a large lens. There is a sort of stop that lets the camera and strap return to the right place after you've put the camera down. This keeps the strap from being in the way and yet keeps it in place when not used.<br>

You don't <em>need</em> to hold it with the hand so much as it is natural to rest the hand there where the camera and lens can be rapidly raised to eye-level. I haven't tried jogging with it. ;)</p>

<p><a href="http://optechusa.com/sling-strap-adaptor.html">Op/Tech Sling Strap</a> for me - I use this with a pretty hefty combo of gripped 7D and Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS and (usually) 2x converter and it's excellent - long days in the field are no problem at all.</p>

<p>Note that there are two sliders with this strap: I use them both, one attached to the strap mount on the grip, one on the right hand strap mount on the camera body, and the camera hangs beautifully at my hip, lens pointing down and back, with <em>absolutely zero</em> chance of strap and camera/lens parting company.</p>

<p>Ridiculously good value for money too: many photographers already own Op/Tech straps, in which case all you need to buy is this adaptor kit, which you attach to a strap pad you already have.</p>

<p>Possibly OT, but just to chime in on alternatives... I love, love, love my <a href="http://www.spiderholster.com/dual-camera-system.html">Spider Holster</a>. Very secure, with no flopping around, and it keeps the weight quite manageably on the hips. I can put QR plates on the tripod socket attachments too.<br>

After a full 10-hour day of moving around with two cameras on my belt (one with 70-200/2.8IS and one with 24-70/2.8 mounted), my lower back does get stiff. But for a lesser endeavor, or a fitter photographer, this is a very comfortable and convenient solution.</p>