Black Market

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by jerry_curtis, Aug 20, 2011.

1. About a week ago, I asked if any of you had experience with BestPricePhoto.com. I had ordered a D7000 from them and hadn’t heard anything, except for an automated reply.
    I received the camera about a week after I ordered it, but I suspected it was gray market. Here’s why.
    1. The Nikon box was for camera and lens. The lens had been removed, and bubble packing was put in its place.
    2. The plug for the charger was for Europe, not the U. S. Instead, it had an adaptor for U. S. outlets.
    3. There was no warranty card.
    4. When I tried to register the camera with Nikon, I got a message saying that there was a problem with the serial number, and referring me to their graymarket page.
    Fortunately, BPP has a 30-day money-back return policy. I gave them a call and told them I would like to return the camera. No problem. They sent me an authorization code and a refund statement, and I had the camera in the mail the same day. This gives new meaning to the term "breathing a sigh of relief."
    In my original post, I said that I had ordered from them because they were recommended as a seller that supported this web forum. I was wrong. It was a camera review site that recommended them. I ordered a D7000 from Ritz, with free shipping, no tax, and a $60 rebate from my credit card company. It arrived by FedEx yesterday, and I registered it with Nikon.
    Next week I'll put my D90 an ebay and recoup some my expense.

2. Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for giving us an update. So often we don't ever hear what happened.
    :)

3. You are very lucky you got your money back.
    Kent in SD

4. Jerry, their web site says, "All Products Come with USA Warranty."
    Was there any evidence of a "USA Warranty" in your package from BestPricePhoto.com??
    And, did you actually get your money back?

5. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Well, "USA Warranty" is not necessarily Nikon USA warranty, Canon USA warranty, etc. It can mean someone in the US will provide some sort of warranty service; whehter you will actually get any service and if so, the quality of such service is unknown.
    I sure hope that Jerry gets his money back. As Kent Staubus points out, plenty of similar stories do not have such a relatively happy ending.

6. Well, "USA Warranty" is not necessarily Nikon USA warranty, Canon USA warranty, etc.
    EXACTLY. Most of these shady, slight-of-hand, bait-n-switch, less than honest "best price" web retailers have descriptions of their wares stating a "USA Warranty" is included. Of course, being less than honest, they don't say that the USA Warranty in question is not the manufacturers warranty and that the product has not been sourced from official USA distributers.
    -
    Fortunately, BPP has a 30-day money-back return policy.
    Let us know how this all works out Jerry. Hopefully I am wrong about this, but I'll be very surprised if you get all your purchase price back. And I'm pretty sure you can kiss the shipping fees both ways goodbye. Check the fine print on your invoice and you'll probably find that a "restocking fee" will be levied for returns, as I indicated in a response to your original posting here.
    A hard lesson learned that the "Best Price" is not always the best price.

7. My D90 that was advertised as "Uk stock" turned out to be grey market - no warranty card ,photocopied manual and I couldn't register it with Nikon UK. I had never bought from this particular site before. They denied it was grey market but said I could send it back for a full refund. At that point I googled them and found lots of people complaining about how difficult it was to get their money back off the firm in question. I kept the D90, it still working great, but I learnt my lesson. The firm has recently gone out of business. It may be harder for me to re-sell, but by the time I upgrade it probably wont be worth much anyway.
    Lessons I learnt
    1) Only buy from authorised re-sellers
    2) Pay by credit card - the credit card company will remiberse you if things go wrong (at least in the uk)
    3) If you haven't heard of the company, google them and ask friends.
    4) Ask yourself is it worth the risk, what if worst case you end up paying twice for one item?( you will probably answer differently for $/£10 than you would $/£1000)
    5)Also consider that if you can't trust them with your money, then perhaps you can't trust them with your credit card details!
    As someone else said, you were lucky to get your money back.

8. Having recently had my D700's failed rear LCD repaired under warranty (very quickly and efficiently by Nikon UK), I can vouch for the value of a manufacturer warranty!
    I'd never buy grey market stuff to save a few pounds - it's not worth the risk.

9. Thanks for posting your experience! I am wary about gray market products but had signed up for ShopAdvisor through photo.net's store (they are listed as a trusted vendor on the D7000 product page). ShopAdvisor emails me periodically with the current price point on the camera, and most of the prices listed are reputable vendors (B&H, Adorama, etc). Well, BestPricePhoto is listed as having the D7000 for $869, but after reading your review, I looked closer & under the specifications tab, there's a fine print hyperlink indicating that it's an 'Import Model'. That's why I appreciate the photo.net community so much - y'all have never steered me wrong. :)

10. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

CL Wood, you won't even get an "import model" of the D7000 for $869. Most likely, the battery, charger, etc. etc. are all extra and the final price will be higher than the usual $1100. If you tell them that you don't need the battery, then the camera would immediately be "out of stock."