Black Body Question

lloyd_phillips2

<p>I am in the market for a lightly used D300 or 300s (possibly) D7000 and in searching on E-bay I see some described as "black body." Since all of these are black body what is the significance of this term. Also, how can I tell if the item is a USA model which as I understand is important for future servicing. Thanks for your response. <a href="mailto:lloyd1926@aol.com">lloyd1926@aol.com</a>.</p>

<p>I'm not aware of any Nikon digital SLR's in any color other than black - but that isn't to say there isn't one or two out there. </p>

<p>My guess is that they, the posters, are just filling in information using an auto fill program, one which doesn't know or care if you're selling a pair of pants or a camera. </p>

<p>The only way to tell if it is a USA body is by the serial number. Side by side, a US and non-US Nikon are identical. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>That person is probably just used to the "old days" when cameras like FEs and FMs were sold either with black or silver bodies. Heck, for a while in the DSLR age Canon was doing silver bodies, but I don't think they are anymore.</p>

<p>Also check into refurbs, btw. Adorama and B & H are good sources for those, but especially Adorama, it seems.</p>

<p>Thank you for your response. I, also thought perhaps the reference to a "black body" was a carryover from old Nikon film cameras but many of these e-bay posters seems like "newbe's" I thought perhaps if referred to import USA models or vice versa but based on your comments this does not appear likely. I don't know how to read DSLR serial numbers to determine if the camera is a USA model (only Nikon USA knows?). My local Nikon servicer would likely send a 300s to Nikon for sevice so it is important to me to get a USA model. </p>

<p>D300 - consumer DSLR built in Thailand - usa model sn should start with 30- same with d300(s) and D7000</p>

<p>Although that may not be reliable - since they may have exceeded 99,999 units - </p>

<p>If you want to be sure it is a US model - then buy from a reputable dealer who will stand behind the product. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>The only way for a purchaser to be certain if a used Nikon DSLR is an official Nikon USA import is if the seller has the original sales receipt showing the body was purchased from an authorized Nikon USA retailer (<a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/IMG/Images/Corporate/Where-to-Buy/Authorized_Dealers2011.pdf">link</a>). Otherwise it's a crap shoot, and serial numbers aren't really going to help with any certainty.</p>

<p>All Nikon DSLRs are "black body". If you see an eBay listing that makes particular mention of this "feature", it probably means that the seller (or the eBay auto-fill form) is either clueless to this fact, or is trying to slightly embellish the listing by promoting his/her offering as somehow different from the usual, when in fact it is not.</p>

<p>Incidentally, it's a bad idea to publish your email address on a public forum. Just makes that address an eventual magnet for spam.</p>

<p>Michael, it appears my last post to you and others was lost. Thank you for the clear answer to my questioins. I have been absent from photography for the past seven years so this is catch-up time for me (physical issues). I am attempting to make the bridge from film to digital and not finding much bridge material to help. I started photography with a Pre WWII Exacta filming in the Ginza district of Tokyo (1945) and have used Nikons for the past 35 years. In his last book, Phil Davis (Beyond the Zone System) presented a clear path for quality B&W film (it most applied to large format but with 35mm carryover. It would be most helpful to me if I could find a similar book for Digital (or any other sources). As you might surmise my days for experimentaition (calibrations) are drawing to a close and I would just like to get on with it. My original post questions have been answered and your consideration is most appreciated.</p>

<p>If you watch the auctions for older film bodies you'll see a trend. The black bodies are evidently more rare and it seems many people are buying these for forms of photography in which they feel the need not to draw attention to themselves. So, the black bodies on film cameras often sell for a higher price, sometimes significantly so. I guess the folks posting these DSLRs for auction are either trying to take advantage of the "black" fad and attain a higher selling price, or they have caught the "black" fad, but don't know the reasoning behind it.<br>

Just my two cents worth.<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>Most likely, Oliver. Pentax also makes a white, blue, and purple model. Sony made a gold one (they called it bronze) for a while, and some mirrorless cameras come in colours too.</p>

<p>As a rule, only a manufacturer's entry-level cameras come in any colours but black or silver.</p>

<p>And the D60 (or was it D40x?) had a 'tuxedo black' version with gold trim.</p>

<p>As I recall, the Canons that came in black and silver were there to help small business. Specialty stores got the black models, and big box stores (specifically Wal-Mart and Target) generally got the silver ones. Sony did similar things with their point and shoots: the cameras were technically the same at the same price, but if you wanted the more professional-looking one you were supposed to go to a photo specialty store to get it. Not that Target couldn't get one, but almost all of their stock was silver. Now Sony gives us special kits (which they claim you can't get at big box stores, but we'll see), and Canon does nothing.<br /><br />Nikon doesn't differentiate models anymore either, but they do help with shipping of certain items. We were still getting plenty of 35 f/1.8s at the normal cost when BH had raised the price AND was out of stock.</p>