Black and whites come out sepia.

<p>I use genuine HP inks. For B/W one has, on my HP 8450, two choices: Highest quality, B/W ink only. I always use highest quality, <em>supposedly</em> it adjusts for the paper.</p>

<p>BUT, it does depend on the paper; on Galerie Classic Pearl and on HP Premium Plus (whatever it is --- it's gloss) I get no color cast (at least, as far as I can tell), but on other papers I definitely get a cast. So even in the HP class, you may get some variation between the papers.</p>

<p>Thank you guys for your assistance. Yes, I only use new HP ink cartridges and have never used a refill kit. I think we've about got it down to the paper. I just ordered a small pack of Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk Paper to see how that does. Any recommendations for a true black & white paper for an inkjet printer?</p>

<p>Jim, My Photosmart was doing that also. Thank goodness it died and I was under warranty. After a lot of ranting with HP (also wrote the CEO) they sent me an Office Jet Pro 8500A A910G. It is more printer then I need but I am not complaining so far. No more sepia tints. Only 4 inks. Quality is probably less then the Photosmart but the only photo printing I use it for is printing things like flyers for events that I shoot.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The adjustment needed was a Color Management>Devices setting. I added and changed the default ICC Profile to Nikon Adobe RGB.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What!? By my understanding, the current HP AIO devices are optimized for HP Advanced Photo paper. For B&W printing, you should be allowing the printer to control the color management and selecting Grayscale/High Quality.</p>

<p>For color prints, you should allow the printing application to control the color management and you must select the correct print-paper-ink profile. The HP printer driver should automatically disable printer color management when you print from another application.</p>

<p>If you use any other paper besides the recommend HP type, you'll have to get an ICC profile specific to your printer model and the paper type.</p>

<p>Thanks for you comments. In an ideal world and what HP leads us to believe is your assumptions would be correct as they should be. However none applied to the specific problem I was having. The HP paper, the grayscale settings, neither worked. Actually I was getting improved results with Kodak paper.</p>

<p>Now for color with the HP printer settings & the default ICC profile, it's spot on but for B/W - not, it tints sepia. Actually I'm getting even better B/W results with an ICC profile of Nikon sRGB instead of the Nikon Adobe RGB... Apparently HP Photosmart has a problem with the output from a Nikon D3 and among others I'm sure.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>When I called HP about the sepia problem they told me it was a computer problem and to call Apple. All I was doing was trying to make some b/w copies from some color flyers I had made. So, I called Apple and they asked how would know what the problem was with all the different types of printers? Sounded like a sensible answer. After all I was not using the iMac to print. I was making copies using the printer.<br>

Sidenote: If you have a HP printer that goes crazy or dies, don't just accept the first deal they offer you if it seems unfair. Email the CEO and Board of Directors. Unlike some companies it is easy to find their emails on main site.<br>

Along with my AIO Photosmart printer, I had bought a pro printer. It arrived DOA. I called tech support and they refused help because they told me that the warranty had run out. After 3 days of calls and emails I found out that <strong>they had sold me a broken refurb as a brand new printer</strong>. I was shocked and enraged. I am told that this happens with other brands as well. Buyer beware.</p>