Bitty Blix...

Evening everyone.

I recently mixed the remainder of my Tetenal C41 chemicals that I originally opened a few months ago. The bleach concentrate had a lot of sediment stuck inside the bottle, but I went ahead and made the solution up. Now, in the Blix mixture, there are lots of bits that float to the surface. It doesn't appear to be having any adverse effects on my films, but does anyone know if there is a neat way to get rid of these, or if it is likely to cause me future problems if I leave them?

Many thanks, Rob

Coffee filters are easy to find. There are filter disks commonly used in chemistry lab, which come in larger packages.

Blix is pretty concentrated, so it isn't surprising that it is hard to keep in solution.

I now have a magnetic stirrer for use with photographic chemistry.

-- glen

The exact same thing happened to me with my tetenal kit last week (second batch). I noticed no effect on the negs but it bugged me so i filtered it using an old tshirt. I repeated the process 3 times untl i saw it clear. Blix is working as it should with no effects after filtering.

...I can’t believe I never thought of filtering the Blix. I’ll try some kitchen roll.

I've never had to filter any of my darkroom chemicals, but I wonder if using paper towels is a good idea. There's always the chance it will tear, and there may be lint on paper towels.

Just a follow-up:

I filtered my blix today with coffee filters. Was amazing how quickly they clogged up with solidified bits of the blix. But the result was beautifully smooth “like-new” blix.

Thank you all for the “simple” solution :)

• Like 1