bird id

paul_soohoo2

<p>New Jersey has plenty of opportunity to see Osprey! Osprey are a species of the shoreline, primarily, but anywhere there are plenty of fish, they'll be nearby. They nest in trees and purpose-built "Osprey Platforms" erected all over the Jersey Shore.</p>

<p>For almost guaranteed Osprey sightings, Take a trip to the <a href="http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Edwin_B_Forsythe/">Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge</a> in Galloway, NJ, just northwest of Atlantic City. Take the Wildlife Drive, and you'll see 8 or more Osprey platforms, and I am reliably informed that all are hosting Osprey pairs and nestlings in 2014. Friendsofforsythe.org has a link to an Osprey Camera trained on a platform near the visitor's center. Osprey are seen at Forsythe about March through October while they breed and raise their young. Stragglers can sometimes be found most of the year.</p>

<p>If you like to photograph wildlife, NJ is host to <a href="http://www.fws.gov/refuges/refugeLocatorMaps/NewJersey.html">five National Wildlife Refuges</a>.</p>

Thanks for the tip Larry. I have not been to that refuge in years. Do the ospreys stay at the refuge all year?

Supposedly there are some bald eagles at mercer county park . I did recently see a red tail hawk with a squirrel in its talons resting on a

street lamp in the park.

<p>Osprey migrate south starting around October. Adults first, then straggling youths. They'll be back around March, building nests and getting ready for the breeding season.</p>

<p>Bald Eagles can be seen, if rarely, all over NJ. Forsythe has them occasionally, The Great Swamp as well. There are nests along the Delaware River.</p>

<p>For dead reliable Eagle sightings, Conowingo Dam in Maryland is a hotspot. They'll fly within 10 feet of you...</p>

<p>Red-tailed Hawks are pretty much everywhere in NJ.</p>