biggest lens usable on Markins Q3 and pan lock improved yet?

ken_yee

What's the biggest lens someone has put on a Markins Q3? Since it has a similar

max weight as the M10, I'm wondering if it'd be fine w/ long lenses (e.g., a

300mm/2.8 is the biggest I can see myself ever using).

Also, has Markins improved their pan lock yet? Last I read a year or two back,

it was a PITA to tighten down and impossible for some people...

If you want to support a 300mm f/2.8, don't go for a small ballhead. You need something bigger. I tried a smaller ballhead with my 400mm f/4 and it just didn't cut it. I have the Kirk BH-1 and love it. The Markins M20, Acratech, RRS, AS B1 or Z1 would be much better options.

The AS Z1 is the other alternative, or a Markins M10 (assuming Markins fixed the hard to lock down pan lock). I was asking about the Q3 because it supposedly has the same load capacity as the M10 and Z1 (roughly 80 lbs). As I understand it, the Z1 and Markins ballheads have the best ball locking mechanisms (except for the Byrzinski(sp?))

I was just curious how big a lens anyone has tried on it...

I can't say about the Q3, the small head I tried was the Kirk BH-3. I know the load rating isn't as good but I was well within the load range of the BH-3 when I tried the 400mm f/4, which is similar in weight to a 300mm f/2.8 (though longer). I just didn't get any confidence with it. With the BH-1, there is no question it holds it solidly. I've read that Markins and A-S lock down tighter than the Kirk and I have to say I just can't imagine it, because my BH-1 is so solid and smooth. I just don't think a small head will cut it, no matter the load rating. I could be mistaken of course.