Bicycle and Car (symbols)

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Julie H, Jul 15, 2017.

1. I should have thanked you, Phil, for posting these Evans photos, but I was too jealous.

Evans really got into debris/trash of all kinds in his later years. Dis-integration.

2. I suspect Walker Evan raised your baseline standard :).

3. I am sorry for what happened with that family. Innocent people on both sides of the aisle suffered horribly. In my opinion, the photo doesn't document their real lives, but may be the aspiration of who they want to be, or rather how I wished their lives were.

That picture you posted is so eerily nostalgic. In India, most people store their bicycles just like that (including me). They all have that little shed under the stairs with a small space to store the bike. Its usually dark and you can scarcely notice the back reflectors of the bike staring at you. I like the stairs, how they are worn out from living in that house and using them ... for a long time.

4. I recently found this photo that I shot a few years back, while looking for images to post at the NW forum. Cars flocking together at a gas station at night. I thought they looked like thirsty animals gathered around a water hole. Just posting here, for I thought it could be relevant.

DSC00182.jpg

5. Supriyo, you blew it. You should have saved that one for the "Banana (symbols)" thread.

Supriyo likes this.
  6. Yes, I agree that would have been wiser. But I saw Julie mentioned in the 'Strangers' thread, this was the end of the symbols series, so I thought I would take my chance now. :D

7. I searched high and low for any source that would claim 'peanut' or 'pea' as symbolic so I could have a 'Peanut (symbols)' thread or a 'Pea and Net' (symbols) thread ('net' has tons of symbolic sourcing), but no luck. Darn!

[p net ... get it? get it? ... :p << the emoticon I said was 'Supriyo's favorite' in another thread]

8. .............

Supriyo, how about supporting this Philosophy forum. Start a thread:

PostNewThread.gif

I promise I will only post to your thread if I have something to say about the ideas in your thread.

I promise to make no personal attacks, no snarky cleverness, no clever wink-wink innuendo.

I will attack your ideas, if I don't agree with them. That's what threads are supposed to be for.

How about it? I dare you.

9. Claiming sarcasm and yet wanting to participate in it all the same. Be Real.

10. Supriyo, I may have to start a bad pun thread as I just realized I said "you blew it" in reference to bananas, lol.

Recently in another thread, there was talk of visual puns. Haven't given this much thought, but I wonder if a visual pun could be made without using a symbol. First thing that occurs to me is that it could but would, perhaps, require at least a sign.

Interestingly, I find a lot of photographic visual puns wanting, especially ones that use signs (a guy smoking next to a No Smoking sign, a heavy-set woman walking below a billboard with a slim, sexy model on it). I'd guess visual puns using symbols, on the whole, would be more challenging, though it would be too easy to fall into the banana-symbol cliche.

I will admit to having used emoticons once or twice, just to see how it would feel. Felt like I was using a crayon instead of a pen. That said, I do use typed characters to make symbols on occasion, but I think because I used to be a typesetter and have been playing around with letters and punctuation marks for most of my life, I get special dispensation.

;-)

11. I thought we were in a joking mood ... thats why you brought up the emoticon. In response, I made fun of you. I was never upset by your emoticon.

I did post an image that I thought was relevant. If you want, we can get back to topic right now.

12. I agree. They may be fun to look at for a while, but can get tiring due to lack of depth. Also, many visual puns that I see in photos are more like oxymorons.

Though not much of pun, this portfolio has some nice examples with signs.