Bibble 4.9.5, Pentax K10D and Adobe DNG

I have Bibble 4.9 and use it to convert Nikon D200 RAW files. I'm toying with

the idea of getting a Pentax K10D and a prime DX lens or two.

The press release for Bibble 4.9.5 says, "Now Supports Nikon D40, Pentax K10D,

Olympus E-400, Leica M8, Mamiya ZD and 97 others," without listing the 97

others:

http://www.bibblelabs.com/press/pr20070112.html

The K10D produces both Pentax PEF RAW files and Adobe DNG RAW files, but the

only available list on the Bibble website doesn't mention Adobe DNG as a

supported format:

http://www.bibblelabs.com/products/bibble/specs.html

Does Bibble 4.9.5 convert Adobe DNG files?

J, at least from this DPReview test, it appears Adobe DNG makes for a better image from a K10D than Pentax' PEF format (scroll down):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d/page13.asp

Beyond that, what makes you think Pentax K10D Adobe DNG files are compressed in relation to PEF files? Adobe DNG files can be uncompressed RAW files (see Compression):

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/pdfs/dng_spec.pdf

in the dpreview you're not comparing apples and oranges since acr doesn't process the k10d pef files. the data in the pef or the dng file is the same, just a different format. how you pp it is what matters. whether you start with a dng or a pef, you will be able to arrive at the same final output; granted one software program may involve more work that another.

and it's the pef files that are compressed, in camera, not the dng; hence the pef file is usually about 9-10meg, whereas the dng is about 16meg for the same photo.

of course you can use acr or other software to compress the dng after you download it, and sd cards are cheap,, but if you're getting the same info why waste the extra space.

one of these days acr will accept the pef files from the k10d, so lightroom will be an option, but bibble works great with the pef files.

so if you want to use bibble, shoot in pef, if you want to use acr you have to shoot in dng

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello All,

I'm working my way up to Noobie with my K10D and at the same time, learning Corel's PaintShop Pro X2. I'm rather

intimidated by the software (and terms like raster), but am become more comfortable with the histogram tool in my

K10D.

I'd like to shift in the near future, from shooting in JPEGs to DNGs, and so am looking at Bibble and Phase 1 for

Post Production work. I'm sticking to these two programs, because simply put, I cannot afford the software from

Adobe-it's far too expensive. I would also add, that considering the posts on this forum and many others, Adobe

products have redefined the word 'complicated' (which explains the Adobe Logo in Webster's next to the definition

of the word) to the proverbial 'nth degree'.

I'm specializing in shooting Rodeos and Sheep Dog Trials (and other such Critter Events later) and am well and

truly enjoying learning what my K10D can do (and how well or how poorly this crippled up ole Neanderthal

understands his lessons). I need longer eyes for these events, having found that my 70mm-300mm Tamron is nice,

but it just can't reach out as well as I'd like, or as quickly as I'd like, for some of those action

shots......so I'm doing my best to save up for one high end quality glass unit, which will answer my needs.

The question I have for you all, is this: have any of you actually used either Bibble or Phase 1 for your K10D's,

or K20D's? Have you also used Corel's PSPX2, and if so, how would you compare these software programs?

I'm rather happy to report that I'm learning to understand and appreciate changing color saturation, contrast,

brightness, sharpness (which is still my downfall at the moment), usw., but that color palette in the upper right

corner is still a mystery to me. I am committed to engaging it this next week, after a Sheep Dog Trials shoot in

Kaycee.

Should you have any time to assist me in selecting the proper software program for DNG's, and in the area of post

production, these flappy sugar bowl ears of an old Neanderthal will be wide open and listening.

Thank you for your time and effort regarding my concerns.

Cheers from Wyoming.

Neanderthal<div>00QKKb-60393684.jpg.9f6f055c3abc854420ab4a1517062ca2.jpg</div>