BG-E2?

<p>purely aesthetics, whats wrong with changing the battery on the spot for the next? I shot a wedding a few days back and had no problem changing batteries for my 5d. Sure, it makes you look BIG MACHO MAN with a bigger camera but I really dont need that, plus it adds weight by alot. Funny yesterday I was photographing my brothers graduation from college and I noticed another photog, probably another family member of the grads come close to me with his 50d and grip, I noticed he glanced my 5d mkII, kinda reminded me when I was taking showers after a soccer game back in high school.</p>

<p>"Purely aesthetics" my butt. Just because you appreciate (or more likely don't <em>understand</em> ) the benefits of the grip, that doesn't mean they don't exist.</p>

<p>I have big hands and thick fingers and use a 100-400mm on my 40D, handheld: the grip provides a much better handling experience for me, as well as counterbalancing the lens nicely.</p>

<p>It makes shooting in portrait mode easier too.</p>

<p>In addition, the grip serves to keep the various buttons near the bottom edge of the 40D from being accidentally knocked when the camera is hanging from the strap.</p>

<p>As to it adding "weight by alot" (<strong>a lot</strong> , FFS!) - good God, I carry my camera around for 6 or 8 hours at a stretch sometimes - along with a camera rucksack filled with everything I might need for a day in the field shooting birds - and have no problems whatsoever with the "alot" of extra weight (oooh! Several whole <em>ounces!</em> ) the grip adds.</p>

<p>Ross, there can be significant advantages to the grip - just ignore folk like Enrique who clearly don't have a clue, but feel the need to impress with their "wisdom" anyway.</p>

<p>After all, don't you think there's likely to be some damn' good reasons why the pro cameras like the Canon 1D series and the Nikon D1/D2/D3 series have grips "built in"?</p>

<p>I've use a grip since my first 30D in 2006, and wouldn't go back to a non-gripped camera if you paid me.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have big hands and thick fingers and use a 100-400mm on my 40D, handheld: the grip provides a much better handling experience for me, as well as counterbalancing the lens nicely.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I noticed It bothers you that I spelled a lot wrong "alot", but I do have ALOT of "wisdom" so it worries me not what "folk" like you think, I am very very sure of myself but if you want to emphasize your big hands and correct people online and call them folk like the racist do, go ahead, whatever makes you feel big, like your camera and grip.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I bought the BG-E2 for my Canon 30D, because that camera looks really flimsy at a wedding and I wanted to separate myself from "Uncle Bill". Surprisingly, I feel like I can handle the camera better with the grip, plus I have the convenience of having a spare battery. I didn't see the advantage of buying a grip for my 5D, because that camera is a little bulkier and heavier. As far as extending battery life I'm not sure, but I would not count on it. </p>

<p>oh, I usually see an edit link which I can use to remove my comments but I cant see it now. Well peoples, just ignore my previous comments and I apologize if I offended anyone, I may have a glass or six of winetoo much. So I just simply say that I dont see a real need for the grip, aside from having longer battery time. However I recently sold my EOS 1v HS and for that cam I DID see a real need to have the grip when I shoot bull riding gigs. But soon in about a month I'll have an EOS 1D mkIII.</p>

<p>I'll share my experiences with the EOS Rebel XT and the 40D. I got the grip for both. I do not have large hands. I like the counterbalnce effect that the grip has and the ability to use the camera in portrait orientation and have a command dial and shutter button in the correct place is WONDERFUL. Could I do what I want without the grip-yes. Would if be a much bigger pain-YES!</p>

<p>I did not like them at first but put one on an eos 5, tho did have an MD for OM. I use one on a 5d now and find it great for portrait as can hold and shoot one handed with the extra shutter button, even with 24 70 or 24 105 its easier to use, the 5d feels awkward now without it. my 30/20/40d`s are shared with the other 1/2 so no grips tho shes now enjoying using the 5d and grip for short jobs, her normal 6hr shifts likes a lil less weight. I`m use to Hassy so don`t mind the grip. Got nothing to do with macho it just helps for a steadier shot for me ;0)</p>

<p>Hi Ross,</p>

<p>Since I noticed your posting in the sports forum, like myself, you'll experience several benefits from the grip on your 40D. As stated, it provides another battery which is definitely helpful during long days of sports shooting. The lenses usually carried to shoot outdoor sports are longer and heavier than most photographic uses, so the added size does balance the camera. Personally, when shooting in AI Servo mode, I like the fact that the grip provides, while in vertical orientation, access to auto focus with the thumb rather than through the shutter alone. I also find the grip easier to grasp when quickly changing from one rig to the next, as I often carry two or even three body/lens combinations. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Gary</p>

<p>My experience only, yours may vary, so the only way to be sure is try....</p>

<ol>

<li>the grip on the xxxD/Rebels makes the camera balance better in my hand and in use</li>

<li>the grip on the xxD makes the camera too bog and awkward for me, the grip is still in the box in the cabinet</li>

<li>was offered a grip for the "new" 5D I bought, but because of my experience with the smaller xxDs didn't take the option. </li>

</ol>

<p>Yes it does make the 5D a bit large but for me the main benefits are<br>

a) that I can fit AA batteries if I don't have access to a power supply for a charger. (ie travelling abroad)<br>

b) having a vertical shutter release and controls, makes it much easier to hold and use in portrait<br>

c) with heavier lenses just makes it all feel more balanced<br>

and no I don't use it to make me feel more macho or professional but for the reasons above I would not be without one.</p>

<p>My experience with AA batteries is that they will NOT last out a full day of shooting with the XTi anyhow. I found that their endurance is measured in hours, not days.<br>

It is nice to have the option though for an emergency where you can't recharge.</p>

<p>Of course, you have to have remembered to throw the AA battery adapter into your bag in the first place ;)</p>

<p>I did not read all the thread.<br>

I'm using a grip because I can hold the camera much better, specially in portrait, and also because the extra weight gives and extra stop in exposure.<br>

I use a third party, much cheaper and additional functions from JENIS<br>

You may check: http://www.hkjenis.com/default.aspx<br>

The production quality may is not that top as the Canon stuff, but works and is cheeper.<br>

Regards Axel<br>

(But I'm on a 5D and the things may are different for the 40D model)</p>

<p>I don't have a grip yet but plan on getting one sometime in the next year. Next year I plan on taking a trip in which I will have no access to power for 2 weeks. As to battery life of AA batteries, I have seen a few people complain in forums that AA batteries don't last long (as little as a couple of hours). However I have seen an even larger number of people state that AA batteries last just as long as the camera rechargables. In an earlier forum I asked about a comment on the low battery life (claimed 40 shots with AA batteries) and the reply we he only used AA's once and the number of shots was approximate. He then checked the manual for the grip and said AA's would last about 280 shots which was a lot higher then he thought. </p>

<p>I struggled with this question shortly after I bought my 40D in February. I decided against getting the BG-E2N. There are several reasons:<br>

First, aesthetically the battery grip is ugly as sin. It's just not well integrated into the 40D's body design.<br>

Second, I don't want to be carrying the extra weight around all the time. Sure, it's not *that* heavy, but given everything I'm carrying around in my Lowepro backpack, every little bit of weight I avoid helps.<br>

Third, I only have 3 lenses (and I don't plan to buy any more), and none of them are so heavy that I need a battery grip to balance the camera.<br>

Fourth, I rarely shoot in portrait mode, and when I do I'm perfectly okay having my right hand above my forehead.<br>

Fifth, I have small hands and slender fingers, and the 40D already fits *perfectly* in my hands (in fact, that's why I chose the 40D!).<br>

Sixth, I have absolutely no problem simply carrying around an extra battery.<br>

Seventh, I don't want to spend over $200 (in Canada) for this thing. The value add just isn't worth it.<br>

Hope this helps.<br>

BTW, check out the pictures (<ugh>):<br>

<a href="http://rolandlim.wordpress.com/2007/09/02/canon-eos-40d-review/">http://rolandlim.wordpress.com/2007/09/02/canon-eos-40d-review/</a></p>

<p>I use, I like. I don't give a crap about the appearance, but Every EOS body I've ever owned benefitted from not only better handling, but the fact that I have a whole second set of controls for my shutter hand, which is emminently more useable when shooting portraits....<br>

IMO you should walk down to the local shop and try it out... see how you like it... for me it's worth it's weight in gold. Because if I'm more comfortable shooting, I'm getting better shots.</p>

<p>My $.02...</p>

<p>what everyone else has said, plus it has a lip that gives your fingers some extra curl room if you're not carrying it around your neck. Grips make it much easier for me to handle my camera and the 2nd set of controls are very nice for verticals.</p>

<p>Hello,<br>

I don't care about the optics. For me it doesen't mean anything if it looks ugly or other people might be impressed blahblah. As for the function: whenever you shot vertical, the grip is a godsend. I do appreciate the additional controls and the better weight balance (yep) especially in studio/portrait shootings, and for architecture.<br>

I bought it for my 30D. The extended battery life was no issue, in the 30D, a battery seems to work for a thousand or so shots. Now, with the 50D (uses the same grip, thankfully) wich sucks batteries empty faster than a thirsty man a can of beer, also this feature of the grip became very, very useful.<br>

/Stephan</p>

<p>I have a VG on both my EOS bodies. Have had since my film 5. <br>

If you shoot portrait with long lenses then its an essential.<br>

Not a vanity. Not a luxury.<br>

The extra battery capacity it gives is very handy, the fact that more recent models have an AV button and AE lock as well as the shutter makes it very handy, but if you either hand hold in portrait mode or shoot in portriat with a lene featuring a tripod mount it just makes it as easy to use as in landscape mode.<br>

As with everything else, if it doesn't suit you don't buy it.<br>

Spend less time looking at other folks kit and more time looking at your own technique.<br>

Amen.</p>