Better Scanning with Rick Drawbridge

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by bradleycloven, Feb 13, 2018.

1. A good résumé of the technicalities, Dave.

I guess the evidence of grain is unavoidable, if your scanner is correctly focused. Some films just have more obvious grain than others! As for "noise", the only time I've come across anything of this ilk is when I have negatives with very poor shadow detail, and the scanner has done it's best by using some sort of interpolation to create a texture in the thin part of the negs. If one wants pure blacks this can be annoying, and while one can increase overall contrast in an attempt to defeat it, this is not always desirable. Someone out there may have an answer...

2. Thanks, Rick!

Yeah, I should have said that I need to figure out what to do, if anything, about the graininess. It may be that no action is needed. I've never liked grain in color photos, though. It seems appropriate for photojournalism and grunge-style art photography, but seems out of place in a clear blue sky. To me.

3. Hi guys! I have a question about scanning and I think I can post it here, instead of opening a new thread.

I have Epson v500 and I am scanning 35mm.
    My goal is to have digital images for later potential printing. I thought of the size ~ 11x17inches.
    Here are parameters that I input:
    Image type: 48-bit
    Resolution: here I put 400dpi.
    Target size: here I put 11''x17''
    Output format: TIFF

As a result with these settings, I get an image that is 171MB, 6803x4402 pixels, 400dpi.

But then I read in forums that you should scan with as much dpi as possible. But when i set, e.g. 600 dpi (and leave all the other parameters as they are in my example), I get a file that is ~650MB and I cannot even open it... :confused: So I guess one should choose 'Original' in target size, then if one chooses e.g. 1200 dpi, the size will be ok, is that right? But here is where I m getting confused! My scanned images seem to look pretty good in terms of quality (at least on the screen). Am I doing it wrong? Are my scans in bad quality? And how to do it right? Please help with advise and some clarification!!!

4. I'm really no expert, and I can speak only from my own experience. Essentially, you're commanding the scanner to make a low resolution scan of a large area, when you should be requesting a high resolution scan of a very small area. Start with a resolution of 2400 or more, and check "original" in the target size. At an output resolution of 2400 you should end up with a file size of around 21 MB. It looks as if you're using Epson software; you'll observe that "Document Size" will vary with the size of your marquee, but you can ignore this if you've selected original size as a target.

Select 48 bit only if you want to print, as your monitor can display only 24 bit, so doubling your file size achieves nothing if the image is for display electronically only.

Save the image as a TIFF. I always create a duplicate of my scans to ensure the original stays that way; you can then work on the duplicate and, when you are ready to print, save the image or artwork at the usual printer resolution of 300 DPI.

I hope this is of some use; some more knowledgeable member might like to add something more definitive!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    tamaragranatkina likes this.