Best Wedding Photo of 2009 Contest Winners

picturesque

<p><strong>Category: Photographers with More Than 3 Years Experience</strong><br>

First Place–Zach Gray: Bride and Groom Running<br>

Second Place–Neil Ambrose: Abi and Dan’s Hora<br>

Third Place–Carlos Montero-Caballero: Heathland</p>

<p><strong>Category: Photographers with Up to 3 Years Experience</strong><br>

First Place–Marek Dziekonski: After the Storm<br>

Second Place–Annalene Rautenbach: In the Field<br>

Third Place–Javier Herrera: A Father Letting Go</p>

<p>Congratulations to all, and congratulations to all who participated in the contest. While we, the judges, have called out the above images and photographers for their excellence and artistry, we were amazed at the overall level of skill and vision. Again–remember that you all win every time your clients place their trust in you to capture their lifetime memories.</p>

<p>If you would like to make any comments about the contest and/or winners and their images, please make them in the nearby thread titled "Best Wedding Photo Contest--Congratulations and Comments".</p>

<p><strong>The Judges–Again</strong></p>

<p>Let’s all join in thanking the following two individuals for judging this contest. Judging is incredibly difficult work, requiring not only time (out of busy schedules) but expertise in all areas of the field. To do this job well, a judge must have first hand knowledge and experience, as well as keen rational faculties. The following two easily possess these qualifications, and then some.</p>

<p><strong>William W.</strong> - After earning advanced credentials in photography and cinematography, William built a highly successful career in photography, opening a series of studios in Australia, his homeland. In addition, William is skilled in the related fields of advertising and business, and he generously shares all of his skills and self admitted ‘large’ personality with all of us on photo.net.</p>

<p><strong>Neil van Niekerk</strong> - Famous (and rightly so) for his writings about flash photography, Neil manages to squeeze workshops, seminars, and speaking engagements into his already busy schedule photographing weddings and portraits. Originally from Johannesburg, South Africa, Neil now resides in the United States. His book, "On Camera Flash–Techniques for Wedding and Portrait Photographers", his website, Planet Neil, and his blog, Tangents, are referred to and cited constantly by photographers around the world.</p>

<p><strong>Comments and Honorable Mentions: </strong>The judges’ comments for the winning images, as well as personal picks for Honorable Mentions follow.</p>

<p><strong>Comments by William W.</strong> </p>

<p><strong><em>Preface:</em></strong></p>

<p>There are many elements contained within and previous to the shutter release of all images which were taken into account to rank that particular image against its competitors - for the purposes of satisfying the Judging Criteria and deciding upon the winners.</p>

<p>Against the three place winners and the three Honourable Mentions for each category, I have listed the elements of each image which I consider to be a key, for that particular image to be ranked above others <strong><em>according to the Judging Criteria.</em></strong></p>

<p>The Images listed under Special Mentions have elements mentioned which I consider key to making those images Superior Wedding Photography – whether they scored highly against the Judging Criteria, or not.</p>

<p><strong>Photographers with more than 3 year’s experience - comments with respect to Competition Criteria</strong></p>

<p><strong>First Place: Bride and Groom Running (Zach Gray)</strong><br>

<em><strong>Near Perfect Controlled Location Portraiture – Modern Genre</strong></em><br>

Perfect: Shutter Release, Framing.<br>

Excellent: Camera Viewpoint, FL Selection, Lighting Control, Tv Control, Av Control.<br>

Excellent: Leverage of Oblique and Foreground Background relationship/Perspective.<br>

Excellent: Conception, Control of Subjects, General Execution and Photofinishing.</p>

<p><strong>Second Place: Abi and Dan's Hora (Neil Ambrose)</strong><br>

<em><strong>Near Perfect Photographic Journalism – Expected Situation</strong></em><br>

Perfect: Shutter Release<br>

Near Perfect: Use of ancillary, (assumed) uncontrolled Lighting.<br>

Excellent: Framing, FL Selection, Tv Control, Av Control, (Anticipation) Camera Viewpoint.<br>

Excellent: B & W Scale Rendition.</p>

<p><strong>Third Place: Heathland (Carlos Montero-Caballero)</strong><br>

<em><strong>Excellent Informal Portraiture</strong></em><br>

Excellent: Camera Viewpoint, FL Selection, Framing<br>

Excellent: Conception<br>

Excellent: Control of Lighting<br>

Very Good: Execution, Control of Subjects, Composition, Use of Square Crop</p>

<p><strong>Honourable Mentions(not ranked on merit):</strong><br>

<strong>A Wedding is About Commitment" (William Morgan)</strong><br>

<em><strong>Excellent Controlled Portraiture - Humorous Genre</strong></em><br>

Perfect: FL selection, Camera Viewpoint (Perspective)<br>

Excellent: Conception, Execution, Control of Subjects, Tonal Range, Colour Saturation, Photofinishing</p>

<p><strong>Happiness (Viet Ngo)</strong><br>

<em><strong>Near Perfect Intimate Moment – Expected Situation</strong></em><br>

Perfect and Near Perfect: Shutter Release, Camera Viewpoint<br>

Excellent: Leverage of Low Key and Negative Space, Light Sculpture</p>

<p><strong>Wedding from Ukraine, Kiev (Yaroslav Zverev)</strong><br>

<em><strong>Excellent Location Portraiture – Modern Genre</strong></em><br>

Near Prefect: Control of Subjects, FL selection, Camera Viewpoint (Perspective)<br>

Excellent: Framing, Location Lighting, Photofinishing.</p>

<p><strong>Special Mentions,</strong> with respect to but also<strong> beyond</strong> the Competition’s Criteria(not ranked on merit):</p>

<p><strong>(Traditional Portraiture)</strong><br>

Genevieve(Mike Hallock)<br>

Bride Noir(Marc Williams)<br>

<em><strong>Near Perfect to Excellent: Key Light, Tv control, Av control, FL or Lens selection, Viewpoint, Subject Pose, Framing, Photofinishing</strong></em></p>

<p><strong>(Modern Portraiture)</strong><br>

The girl next door (David Schilling)<br>

It is good to share (Chan Kong Yaw Peter)<br>

<em><strong>Near Perfect to Excellent: Lighting, FL choice, Av control, Viewpoint, Subject Pose, Framing, Photofinishing</strong></em></p>

<p><strong>Photographers with less than 3 year’s experience - comments with respect to Competition Criteria</strong></p>

<p><strong>First Place: After the Storm (Marek Dziekonski)</strong><br>

<em><strong>Near Perfect Location Portraiture – Informal Portrait</strong></em><br>

Perfect: Framing & Viewpoint - to suit Subjects, FL Selection, Perspective<br>

Excellent: Use of Lighting in Foreground & Background, Use of Low Key<br>

Excellent: Control of Subjects, General Execution, Monochrome Scale, Photofinishing</p>

<p><strong>Second Place: In the field (Annalene Rautenbach)</strong><br>

<em><strong>Excellent Location Portraiture – Informal Portrait</strong></em><br>

Excellent: Use of Foreground Background, Use of geometry<br>

Excellent: FL Selection, Viewpoint, Use of Lighting<br>

Excellent: Tonal Range and Colour Saturation in Photofinishing<br>

Very Good: Control of Subjects</p>

<p><strong>Third Place: A Father Letting Go (Javier Herrera)</strong><br>

<em><strong>Superior capture of Intimate Moment – Expected Conditions</strong></em><br>

Perfect: Shutter<br>

Excellent: FL Selection, Av Control, (assumed) Tv control<br>

Excellent: Control of Lighting, Monochrome Scale, Photofinishing<br>

Good: Anticipation, Camera Viewpoint, Framing</p>

<p><strong>Honourable Mentions(not ranked on merit):</strong></p>

<p><strong>First Dance (Matthew Kuehl)</strong><br>

<em><strong>Near Perfect Intimate Moment – Expected Situation</strong></em><br>

Perfect and Near Perfect: Shutter, Camera Viewpoint, Light Sculpture<br>

Excellent: Anticipation, FL Choice, Av control, Tonal Range and Photofinishing</p>

<p><strong>Breaktime (Catalin Stanciulescu)</strong><br>

<em><strong>Excellent Controlled Portrait – Humorous Genre</strong></em><br>

Perfect: Control of Pose and Poise of Main Subject<br>

Excellent: Conception, Viewpoint, FL Choice, General Execution</p>

<p><strong>Untitled (Csaba Varga)</strong><br>

<em><strong>Excellent Controlled Location Portraiture – Classic Genre</strong></em><br>

Perfect: FL selection, Camera Viewpoint (Perspective)<br>

Excellent: Framing, Use of Light, Tonal Range, Saturation, Photofinishing</p>

<p><strong>Special Mentions,</strong>with respect to but also <strong>beyond</strong> the Competition’s Criteria (not ranked on merit):</p>

<p><strong>(Informal Portraiture - A Moment – Expected Situation)</strong><br>

First Kiss (Ceci Wong)<br>

Shining Through (Booray Perry)<br>

The Moment (Roberto Lopez)<br>

The bride & her father(Lee Copp)<br>

<strong><em>Perfect or Near Perfect: Shutter,(in combination with Superior other elements contained in each image)</em></strong></p>

<p><strong>(Multiple Genre)</strong><br>

Begining... (Eduard Cupka)<br>

So happy day! (Bogdan-Roth Octavian)<br>

Bathed in light (Fiona Campbell)<br>

A Quiet Moment (Rachel Larson Moreau)<br>

Pensive (Jen Stovern)<br>

First Dance (Dan Zimmerman)<br>

<strong><em>Superior to Very Good Portraits, combining several elements at consistently Very Good to Excellent Standard</em></strong></p>

<p><strong>(Various Genre)</strong><br>

Reflection on a dance (Joey Allen)<br>

Bride To Be (Andy Mars)<br>

The Fairy Tale (Wayne Lam)<br>

<strong><em>Superior to Very Good: extending the Genre of the Traditional and Modern Wedding Capture, whilst maintaining Sense, Mood, Event and strong coherence of Place, Moment and Emotion</em></strong></p>

<p><strong>(Controlled Portraiture)</strong><br>

Kiss of Color (Debra Rantilla)<br>

The evening winds down at the Orchard (sean morrison)<br>

A Hollywood Beginning(Mitch W)<br>

<strong>Superior to Very Good: Use of Surrounds and or Props (in combination with Superior other elements contained in each image)</strong></p>

<p><strong>Closing Remarks:</strong></p>

<p>Every Photographer who entered was a winner, just for putting it out there. If what you submitted was the best you took this year, then you will win tenfold, when you enter a new Personal Best, next year.</p>

<p>I enjoyed the task of Judging.</p>

<p>Thank you, Mary and Nadine, for the invitation.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p><strong>Comments by Neil van Niekerk</strong></p>

<p><em><strong>Bride and Groom Running:</strong></em> This is one of the photos that immediately stood out for me. It is impeccable in its execution - whether in the timing of the shot, or the post-processing. The overall composition is very effective in its simplicity. The photographer enhanced the composition with strong vignetting, which is not intrusive. A fine balance! The bride's beaming expression is riveting, and central to the composition. Everything in that image just draws you in to her face. Your gaze does dart out to other parts of the image ... and you do notice that the groom's feet are both off the ground, caught in mid-stride. And this just adds to the impact.</p>

<p><em><strong>Abi and Dan’s Hora:</strong></em> I was very happy when I saw the other judges also scored this image very highly. What impressed me immediately was the lighting. It would appear the photographer used additional lighting at the reception and then chose his angle well to get that kind of rim-lighting. The lighting helps create depth in the image, with everyone in the crowd standing out. Then of course, the composition is simple and your attention immediately goes to the groom.</p>

<p><em><strong>Heathland:</strong></em> I immediately loved this image. The composition is incredible. The setting and the posing of the couple is spot on! I don't need to describe why it is effective - just look at the image and be drawn in! The only element that pulled the photo down for me is the lighting on her arm - that hard shadow across her arm. I do realize that very often these elements are out of our control during an actual location shoot - but still it is the one tiny thing which stopped me from giving it top score. Even then, I can't look away. It's beautiful.</p>

<p><em><strong>After the Storm:</strong></em> I have to admit that I didn't initially score this image as highly as the other judges. The muted tones worked against it grabbing my attention from the start. When we conferred and compared notes, I had to revisit the image, and allow its subtlety to work its magic. The framing is perfect, and the placement of the couple is great. The post-processing too, is beautiful. Well done!</p>

<p><strong><em>In the Field:</em> I</strong> loved the crispness of the image, and the colours. I also loved the individual posing of the bride and the groom. The only element that pulled it down from a top score for me, is the balance of the two figures in the frame. I would've liked to have seen more separation between the two of them inside the frame. All that said, the image is great, and one of those that makes me wish I had taken it. Great capture!</p>

<p><em><strong>A Father Letting Go:</strong></em> The emotional quality of this image is tangible. It neatly encapsulates everything we imply when describe great wedding photography as being about story-telling and capturing the essential moments of the day.</p>

<p><strong>Honourable Mentions:</strong> Images that I loved, but juuuust didn't make into the top tier:</p>

<p><em><strong>Wedding from the Ukraine by Yaroslav Zverev:</strong></em> Great styling! Technically, my only concern was about the blown highlights in his shirt. Stylistically, I don't think this image benefitted from the extreme tilt.</p>

<p><em><strong>Coffee Pit Stop by Serge K.:</strong></em> Lovely!</p>

<p><em><strong>(Girl dipping her toes in the water) by Csaba Varga:</strong></em> Strong colours always appeal to me, and the composition too is great.</p>

<p><em><strong>Niagara on the Lake by Stephen Paul Munn:</strong></em> I love the spontaneity in this photograph. Even though the bride's head is turned away, the happiness and connection between the two is strongly implied.</p>

<p><em><strong>Heaven Dance by Vans Photography:</strong></em> Definitely one of those images that makes you stop and take a 2nd and 3rd look. This image would benefit from stronger post-processing. Warm the skin tones, and make those colours pop!</p>

<p><strong>Comments by Nadine Ohara</strong></p>

<p><em><strong>Bride and Groom Running:</strong></em> Technically perfect, artistically sublime, with a wow factor that is icing on the cake.</p>

<p><em><strong>Abi and Dan’s Hora:</strong></em> This image, in addition to being expertly captured, gets better as you look at the various elements within. Layers and layers to die for, ending in a satisfying visual journey.</p>

<p><em><strong>Heathland:</strong></em> The graphic impact of this image is stunning, while the emotion flows naturally from the subjects–a beautiful image.</p>

<p><em><strong>After the Storm:</strong></em> Artistic control and superb technique have been extremely well executed in this image, yet they do not hamper the story lying within.</p>

<p><em><strong>In the Field:</strong></em> An enjoyable mystery to unravel–complete with visual tension supported by a strong technical foundation.</p>

<p><em><strong>A Father Letting Go:</strong></em> Perfect timing makes this image, well...perfect.</p>

<p><strong>Honorable Mentions:</strong></p>

<p><em><strong>Secret Garden by Michael Brown:</strong></em> I love the heightened colors in the image. I am also impressed by the classical pose and composition.</p>

<p><em><strong>The Limo by Regas Chefas:</strong></em> I was intrigued by how the photographer could get all the elements to behave, since this is, I guess, a candid shot. The cropping only improves the composition while taking nothing away from the sense of fun and movement in the image.</p>

<p><em><strong>Dusk by Todd Laffler:</strong></em> A quiet, yet ‘loud’ image. Classical perfection in composition and exposure control combined with ‘hit you over the head’ visual impact.</p>

<p><em><strong>Our Time by Vincent Hogan:</strong></em> I found the V shaped composition very intriguing, the colors very attractive, and the intimacy skillfully preserved.</p>

<p><em><strong>Family Tree by Kate Callahan:</strong></em> I reacted immediately to the scale of the tree in comparison to the subjects, but more than that, by the feeling the combination inspired, which was expertly developed by the photographer.</p>

<p><em><strong>Aspiring Wedding Photographer by Zero Coolbeans:</strong></em> I instantly thought that the image could have jumped from the pages of Life magazine–a slice of life well captured.</p>

<p><strong>Full List of Semi Finalists (in no particular order)</strong></p>

<p><strong>Over 3 Years Experience</strong><br>

Melissa Papaj–Taking the Plunge<br>

Secret Garden–Michael Brown<br>

Shane Perry–The Kiss<br>

Zach Gray–Bride and Groom Running<br>

Carlos Montero Caballero–Heathland<br>

William Morgan–Commitment<br>

Yaroslav Zverev–Wedding from the Ukraine<br>

Serge K–Coffee Pit Stop<br>

Viet Ngo–Happiness<br>

Paulo Cardone–Ashley<br>

Ian–Ring Man<br>

Gus Zavos–First Kiss Among Rose Petals<br>

Neil Ambrose–Abi and Dan’s Hora<br>

Regas Chefas–The Limo<br>

Todd Laffler–Dusk</p>

<p><strong>Up to 3 Years Experience</strong><br>

Marek Dziekonski–After the Storm<br>

Vincent Hogan–Our Time<br>

Matthew Kuehl–First Dance<br>

Stephen Paul Munn–Niagara on the Lake<br>

Kate Callahan–Family Tree<br>

Todd Johnson–Getting Ready<br>

Javier Herrera–A Father Letting Go<br>

Annalene Rautenbach–In the Field<br>

Robert Lopez–The Moment<br>

Zero Coolbeans–Aspiring Wedding Photographer<br>

Csaba Varga–Untitled (Girl by the Lake)<br>

Catalin Stanciulescu–Breaktime<br>

Hans Koot–Silent Feeling</p><div>00Vgqp-217551584.thumb.jpg.e21e866640dd0ce9ef3633bd75512f7d.jpg</div>