Best Way To Ship From US To Canada?

Please let me start by thanking all those that responded to previous posts on

this subject. You mentioned several issues that I hadn't taken into consideration!

I live in Vancouver, BC. Presently the Canadian Dollar is very high compared to

the US Dollar. You would think that Canon CDN prices would follow the US to CDN

Dollars ratio but sadly they don't.

I'm about to order several items from B&H or Adorama. I'd like some advice on

the best shipping options to me in Vancouver, Canada.

Thanks!

i think that USPS air parcel is probably your best bet. Fedex, USPS GEM and other similar services will (in my experience at least)translate into extra cost for GST/PST. I have read in several fora that USPS air parcels can sometime escape that...

USPS/Canada Post have minimal charges for brokerage. Generally only a $5.00 flat fee. On rare occasions they may not even charge you GST and PST but do not count on that.

UPS Standard and FEDEX Standard services charge HUGE fees for brokerage and then of course definitely the GST and PST. I once had to pay a $50 brokerage fee on a $25 item. Most stores will only ship via UPS or FEDEX so you MUST be sure that they ship via one of the more expensive services that INCLUDES the brokerage fee! You can go to the shipper's website to see which service does this. You will save a lot of money in the long run.

I live in Ontario and have bought many eBay items as well as items from Adorama and KEH. Good luck.

B&H has a shipping calculator available before you place your order. All you have to do is place the item you want "in your cart" then "proceed to checkout". There is where you'll find the calculator.

<p>

You don't have to make the purchase to get this information.

Quite a bit of inaccurate info above. Using UPS/FedEx will not result in higher GST/PST which are the same regardless of courier. Brokerage fee will be applied only if shipped by UPS/FedEx "Ground". If buying from B&H to Canada, the best way to ship is UPS Expedited because it is very fast and you will pay GST/PST only, no brokerage fee, no hidden cost at all. For Adorama, there is only one option (UPS Worldwide Express) to Canada and you will also pay GST/PST only, no brokerage. You might check the detail <a href="http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html">here</a>.

B&H and Adorama only ship via AIR when using UPS (UPS Worldwide Expedited / Express). They do NOT use UPS Standard (Ground).

There are no additional brokerage / customs clearance fees when shipping via UPS Expedited / Express. The sales taxes will be the same either way. I have personally NEVER had a USPS parcel of significant value escape GST/PST when it was shipped by a COMMERCIAL vendor like B&H. Bearing in mind that there will be either an additional $5 (USPS Air Parcel) or $8 (USPS Express Mail) fee for USPS/Canada Post customs clearance, when shopping with B&H or Adorama use whichever service gives you the speed you want at the lowest cost. I have had shipments in the past from B&H whereby UPS Expedited was both faster and LESS expensive than USPS Express Mail when the extra $8 customs fee was factored in. Note that if using USPS, only Express Mail (EMS) offers en route tracking.

As noted above, UPS Standard and FedEx Ground are a HUGE RIP OFF! If shopping with USA vendors other than B&H or Adorama, avoid that service like the plague.

Happy shopping! It's a great time for us Canucks to shop south of the 49th.

"As noted above, UPS Standard and FedEx Ground are a HUGE RIP OFF!"

Well, I have been using Fedex Priority shipments from B&H for the past couple of years. Yes, they are pricey - but I would not call it a rip-off. Fees on a standard package (lens or two, some bits and pieces) are in the vicinity of $100 or more, true, but it is the only way to get the package cleared and delivered to my doorstep. Otherwise - I need to take a day off, drive to the Customs storage facility which is 50km away, spend time queuing...in other words, not worth the hassle. Their brokerage fees are about A$50 or so - all in all, I consider it a good deal when shipping to Australia. YMMV, of course.

Hi Jim. I've ordered several times from B&H, and live in Vancouver. I've always used UPS expedited. Not sure if it's the best, but it's worked fine for me. As far as I can tell, UPS has never collected any additional monies for themselves, beyond what B&H tacks on at point-of-sale.

There *is* additional charge, it is either GST alone, or GST plus PST. Which it is depends on the nature of the shipment. Lens have always been GST only. Bodies are GST+PST. Filters are a grey area: if they've come with lens it usually just GST. If they've come alone or with a body, it's GST+PST.

With UPS shipment via B&H, they alway supply a UPS tracking code with the invoice, which comes in handy. Then you can watch your package whip across the States, and then languish in Richmond for 3~5 days ;D

The final stumbling block is to have someone on hand for delivery. If you're at home days and have good ears then likely no problems. I've found it *never* runs smooth, requiring at least one botched delivery attempt and phone calls to discuss alternative pickup.

B&H insists on shipping to the billing address, i.e.: the same address as the credit card holder. Or at least they did when I registered, maybe 2 years back. Maybe with repeat business they soften this requirement, haven't checked into it. Don't know about others.

I have taken deliveries from another outfit at my work, it *does* make things simpler. Only hitch would be if they need some COD. Usually this can be handled over the phone, tho.

Alan Chan had the first correct response in the thread.

With Expedited or Next Day shipping, UPS tells you the final cost up front. With ground shipping, they make the price look initially attractive, but then the brokerage fee they'll tack on is a complete wild-card.

So whatever the shipping calculator on the B&H website tells you your final shipping cost will be with Expedited, that's what it will be. Plus your GST and PST once it comes over the border in a day or two.