BEST WALK AROUND LENS FOR CANON 7D

david israel

<p>Ok... I am sure this has been asked a 1000 times before, but I have not been on for a while and I am seriously looking to buy a new lens for my new Canon 7D. I am looking for the "Best" walk around lens. I am not concerned with the cost as I am looking to get something that will stay with me for a while. Anyway I currently own the following lenses and I am willing to sell some to make room in my bag for the new one. I enjoy all type of photography... from Macro to landscape and everything in between.. I would really appreciate any advice.<br>

Lenses Currently Owned:<br>

1. Canon 50MM 1.8 ($100.00 One)<br>

2. Canon 70-300MM 4-5.6 IS USM <br>

3. Canon 100MM 2.8 Macro (Love this one)<br>

4. Canon 10-22MM 3.5-4.5 (Love this one)<br>

5. Canon 28-105MM 3.5-4.5 (Weak walk around)<br>

6. Canon 28-80MM 3.5-5.6 (Kit lens from my first Canon film camera)<br>

7. Tamron 19-35MM 3.5-4.5</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>David</p>

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>To me at least, 24mm is fine on a full frame sensor, but on a crop sensor such as your 7D 24mm is not very wide.<br>

I have the Canon 50D and my walk around is the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, and would be my thoughts, . . .the f/2.8 aperture is nice indoors and out, with and without flash.</p>

<p>If you don't have a specific budgetary limit in mind, a better option may be the 17-55/2.8 IS (as opposed to the tamron). Its IS and USM w/ full time manual focus make it a bit more flexible than either the Tamron or the Sigma.<br>

24-105 is a good lens, just not a great lens, and on the crop it's not going to give the width that you'd expect to need on a walkaround, of course mileage may vary, but I've shot with it on the crop, and simply wasn't satisfied with it's performance.</p>

<p>Looks like you have good glass in super wide, tele, and macro. I'd sell 5, 6, and 7 and get a good normal zoom. There's plenty of options out there, you just have to find out which fits your needs best. Off the top of my head, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, and 24-105mm f/4L IS come to mind as great choices.</p>

<p>I find that my 24-70 f2.8 is a bit too long on my 7D (it is perfect on full frame) so I suspect the 24-105 will be the same (it is effectively 38.5 - 168 mm). I personally use the 16-35 F2.8 II on my 7D for general use but this is an expensive lens unless you also shoot full frame. Thus I suggest a lens like the 17-40 F4 or the EF-S 17-55 F2.8. If you want to sell something 5,6,7 look like good candidates but I suspect that you may find they are worth so little it is better to just keep them.</p>

<p>Since you say you love the 100mm f2.8, I'd stick with that. Only you know what you like to shoot best and therefore what the best lens is for it. For walking around I like a 50mm f 1.4 but thats what I've been using for the most part for 40 years.</p>

<p>I bought the 24-105 for my 7D and loved it until I bought the 15-85. I find it to be incredibly sharp and the 15mm end is extremely useful. The overall range is more useful on the 7D (24-136 equivalent) and as a result, this lens stays on my 7D most of the time. I've been using the 24-105 on my 1v lately since I can more fully appreciate its focal range with a full-frame camera.</p>

<p>I vote for the Canon 18- 200, a USM lens. With it you can take a picture of someone across the dinner table from you then zoom in on something across the street. Sure, primes and some others can give better image quality, but few others can match its flexibility and range.</p>

<p>The EF-S 15-85mm is the lens made for an APS-C body to roughly correspond to the EF 24-105mm on a 35mm sensor.</p>

<p>The latter lens would serve on the smaller sensor if you are willing to carry around a wide angle lens too, but that defeats the idea of a "walk around" lens. On APS-C, it is a short normal lens to mid-range telephoto. No real wide at all.</p>

<p>If lens "speed" is the critical variable, then the EF-S 17-55mm IS f/2.8, as said above. Personally, I would find it too short on the long end for a true walk around, however.</p>

<p>Ty,</p>

<p>Looking for the everyday lens... The one that would be on my camera most of the time when not doing Macro or landscape work.... Travel, School plays, Birthday parties, street events.... that kind of thing... good all around lens that will be my main lens for everyday use..</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>David</p>

<p>If you plan to go full frame in the near future: Canon EF 17-40 f/4L (sometimes it feels a bit short) or Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L or Canon EF 24-104 f/4L IS (the last two lenses might feel a bit long on the wide end on a crop body)</p>

<p>If you don't plan to go full frame: any of these or Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS</p>

<p>[]'s<br>

Antonio</p>

<p>The bottom line, as you can see from the answers you've received so far, is it depends on what you are walking around. Opinions can be quite varied from two people walking around the same places.</p>

<p>For me, the 24-70L is a favorite for some places, the EF-S 17-55 IS for indoor, typical room size places, and the 70-200 II for outdoor/garden shots but I'll use it indoors for portrait/detail work if the room size allows.</p>

<p>The folks above have all given good recommendations, so you can see there is no one lens that everyone agrees is the perfect "walk around" lens. If you are able, rent one of the lens suggestions that most interests you and use it for a week, as you intend. That should tell you more about whether it meets <strong>your </strong>needs than anything I could suggest.</p>

<p>David,<br>

Many people have suggested the 24-105. However, your comment beside your 28-105 is that you find it to be "weak walk around". In what ways do you find the 28-105 to be a weak walk around lens for your 7D? Is 28 not wide enough? If so, would 24 be wide enough? Is it not fast enough? On the wide end it is faster than the 24-105, but slower on the long end. If you can nail the reason(s) you find the 28-105 to be a weak walk around you can probably answer the question of the 24-105 without even having to rent one to try it out.<br>

The kit you describe seems to have the weak link in the 15/17/18-XX zoom range. So, the Tamron 17-50 or the Canon 15-85 or 17-55 would probably be the best additions to your kit.<br>

You describe travel, school plays and street events as possible uses for the "walk around" lens.<br>

School plays may need fast glass, so the f/2.8's become attractive. But, that begs the question of how close you can get to the stage. Will 50/55mm be sufficient from your seats? For stage performances I've considered the Tamron 28-75 and the Sigma 50-150 - both in f/2.8. However, those don't really meet your needs in other aspects of "walk around".<br>

Travel could involve any focal lengths. If you're thinking about buildings you will probably use wider focal lengths, but details on buildings may require more zoom.<br>

For street events, I use my EF-S 55-250. I like the reach. Even the f/5.6 on the long end works in the day time, but starts to be a stretch as the sun goes down. So, I sometimes use my 85 1.8 if its later in the day.<br>

Overall, I'd think the 15-85 would be the strongest candidate, unless you need low light capabilities.<br>

Of course, there are the 18-200/250/270 super zooms. But, if you love your 100 macro and 10-22 I doubt you'd be satisfied with the IQ.<br>

I hope this helps, especially the questions about the 28-105 insufficiency.<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>David,<br>

Sorry, I abandoned the thread last night and went to bed.<br>

You asked how the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 performed in low light, indoors.<br>

I find it satisfactory, and I don't have the VC (Tamron's designation for IS) version, but wish I did. The VC would certainly improve mine in the low light area of use.<br>

Many good comments and opinions, and I agree that only you can decide if the "fast glass" or "more reach" is what you're after in a "walk around" lens.<br>

Best wishes in your decision,<br>

Jim j.</p>

<p>Two Thirds of all my shots have been with a 24-105. When I need wider I have a 10-22, longer I use 70-200. I wouldn't give up the reach of the 24-105 just to gain on the short end but, that is just me. Others may prefer the opposite.</p>

<p>I'm with Richard. I use the 24-105 most of the time on by 7D. It's the lens that's on my camera unless I need a different lens. If you find the 28-105 weak because of the focal length or because it is too slow, then you probably won't like the 24-105 any better. If you find it perfect except for IQ, variable aperture or lack of IS, then the 24-105 will be exactly what you want.</p>

<p>Ef-s 15-85. Reasons: 1) image quality, 2) zoom range, 3) price. If you love your 10-22 you will be disappointed by the ef 24-105 because although it's a great lens, with your APS-C sensor will prove not wide enough. 24-70 f/2.8L still isn't wide enough and moreover hasn't the zoom range a walkaround lens should have. It's not a fast lens but the IS compensates really well.<br>

Since your equipment doesn't fit the full sensor series anyway and since your 7D is obviously your new camera (so you will spend a good deal of time with it until you upgrade - if you ever do so) why spend the money for an L series lens? The ef-s 18-200 would be great if it had a descent image quality (which it doesn't). For me who have been looking recently for the same lens it's an obvious choice for a walkaround lens.</p>