BEST Tripod for Nikon D3x

lesa_macgregor

<p>As always, there is rarely a "best" anything, but instead a lot of good choices. The tripod head is actually more critical than the tripod, I think. Not sure there is a "best" one of those either as I can think of at least four that are excellent. I do think that Arca Swiss style quick release is the "best" though.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I agree with Kent that the head is as or more important than the legs. The Arca Swiss release system is mandatory in my opinion as well. Nothing else is as solid and secure. Much depends on what you're photographing. If it's fast moving children, forget the tripod. If it's formal portraits or products, you need a sturdy comfortable working platform.<br>

I use a D700, a bit lighter camera, with a RRS L-bracket and a Gitzo 3 series carbon with an Arca B1 head. I rarely work indoors, mostly outside, relatively close to my car, at least close enough to carry my pack with 5 heavy lenses. When on long hikes I "get away" with fewer lenses, a lighter pack, and a Gitzo 1 series with an Acratech head and it's ok, except in wind (not a likely problem in your studio, I hope), on steep slopes, or with lenses longer than 200.<br>

Were I starting from scratch, I'd still likely get the Gitzo 3 series, it just feels great, and would strongly consider the RRS BH-55 head. If funds are really tight, many folks I know are quite happy with the Gitzo 2 series crbon or aluminum. In a studio, where weight is irrelevant, I'd probably save money and use an aluminum tripod, still a Gitzo 3 series (like the old one I still have but do not like to carry, but it's really strong and sturdy). I'd also look at the Manfrotto 4 series geared head, if you need the precision, otherwise a high end ball head is quick and smooth. If you do it right, you'll have a setup for life.<br>

Good luck with your studio.</p>

<p>I have two series 3 Gitzos... in carbon and in aluminum. As Eric says, the aluminum one never leave the studio. But if you have to buy just one, I`d choose the carbon one even for studio use.<br /> If you decide to buy a series 3 Gitzo, I`d go for any model with center column. I prefer the systematic models, as they have the possibility of different center column choices; for studio use, I`d definitely go for a geared one. If not, I`d go for a "rapid" carbon one.<br /> In my experience, a series 2 Gitzo is more than enough for a D3; you`ll gain portability. Here you must choose which kind of center column you prefer, for me it`s a G1227 carbon fiber with a rapid one (now, discontinued). If you choose it right, as said you`ll have a lifetime tripod.<br /> Heads? It could be a much more personal choice. I have bought many of them. Anyway, I`d advice you to have a look at Manfrotto geared ones.</p>

<p>I have a Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod and a Gitzo, both have Really Right Stuff (RRS) BH-40 ball heads and RRS clamps. D700 with MB-D10 grip with RRS L-plate and heavy lenses are very stable on these rigs.<br>

RRS and Kirk both make excellent Arca-Swiss compatible plates and clamps.</p>

<p>I wonder if Thom wrote this great article after the release of Manfrotto`s 3 way geared heads. They really makes a difference, maybe not in weight and rigidity, but in usefulness in the real life.<br /> ----<br /> Edit: I have already noticed that certainly, he didn`t: "<em>... Since writing this article in 2003, a lot of the specific equipment has changed, though the overall thrust of the article remains exactly as it was... "</em></p>

<p>If you are getting a Really Right Stuff ballhead, I would get the BH-55. It is bigger and a little more secure, and you can put a bigger lens on it. I have the BH-55 with the LR clamp for faster action. That is now almost standard equipment for a lot of serious photographers in North America.</p>

<p>I have a friend who is a well known Canadian wildlife photographer. He is concerned that if the sping inside the LC clamp snpas, the "jaw" will open and your entire camera set up can fall. So he bought it with the Pro II clamp, but that takes a little longer to loosen and tighten.</p>

<p>If you're putting together a home studio and you want camera support specifically for the studio space, you don't want a tripod; you want a camera stand.<br>

Tripods are great outside: different leg lengths for uneven terrain, adjustable legs to get low, a center column to get high. But of course, you don't need to deal with that in a studio. A camera stand will let you slide the camera down low or up high, roll into place, and lock where you need it--and take up much less floor space.<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Camera-Stands/ci/415/N/4294538423</p>

<p>I'll add to the chorus.</p>

<ul>

<li>Gitzo 3-series carbon fiber tripod (the 5-series is also possible, but probably overkill).</li>

<li>Get the tripod with a center column (rapid or geared). The ability to adjust the camera up or down slightly is critical in studio settings.</li>

<li>RRS custom L-bracket for the D3X.</li>

<li>One variety of the RRS BH-55 ball head that you think suits you needs.</li>

<li>Backup/alternate head: a Gitzo 3-way head for times when you need to control each dimension separately for precision.</li>

</ul>

<p>This setup will work for most things, but it will not enable you to do photography where the camera is facing completely downward easily, i.e. toward a table. You'll need an extra extension arm of some sort for tabletop macro photography.</p>

<p>I have two options for the D3X, a Gitzo mountaineer with good ballhead, and a Manfrotto 161 MK II with the geared 400 head. THe Gitzo is for travelling, but i should change the ballhead for a different one.<br>

THe D3X is to heavy already with a 70-200 lens .......<br>

THe Manfrotto is a joy but i do not use D3X in portrait mode on this tripod</p>