Best time of year and places to photograph birds in Florida?

philg

I'm interested in going down to Florida this year to

photograph birds. I understand that Sanibel Island is

supposed to be a good place but I'd like to know exactly

when is the best time to be there.

<p>

Also, what equipment would you take to Sanibel? A friend of

mine said the birds are really tame and that one can get

very close but I would think that renting a 600/4 would

be the smart way to go.

<p>

Finally, what time of day are the birds most active and the light

most interesting? Will I have to be up at dawn or is there

interesting action late in the afternoon as well?

My favorite time to go is winter. In part that's historical, as I got to combine Christmas visits to my dad with such trips. But, there are non-photographic reasons as well:

<p>

1. Prices are low until about the 20th of December

<p>

$35/night on Sanibel can't be found in March/April

<p>

2. Crowds are lower. I like a little solitude when bird

shooting.

<p>

It is true that many bird subjects needn't be shot with monster lenses. If you look at some of my bird photos, the closeup of great blue heron and of tri-colored heron I've got are shot with a 300. The birds are often very tame.

<p>

But ... access at Ding Darling and, say, the Everglades is often restricted to give the birds a little peace. So, you might find a really friendly critter begging for attention, but 50 feet beyond a "closed" sign. I'm involved enough with conservation and management issues to know that these signs are there for good reason. The problem isn't the sensitive photographer who quietly approaches and photographs such a bird, but rather the 50 heathens who descend upon the spot immediately afterward.

<p>

Also, many of the lagoons and such are very shallow, so from a wader's perspective, getting toe deep vs. ankle deep might translate into tens of feet of horizontal distance. So they can be very spread out.

<p>

I've never regretted having my 600 along when I've gone, but I wouldn't want to be without my 300, that's for sure!

<p>

A hidden secret, of sorts, is Ft. Meyers Beach, south of Ft. Meyers city and Sanibel. Lots of high-rent hotels. Also, though, a Holiday Inn which allows public access to their beach. From there, you can saunter to the other beaches. There's a great salt lagoon there with all sorts of stuff, and very few people. I found out about this from a couple of friendly full-time shooters I hung out with last visit. They each had spent a few days not only shooting there, but camping out in the Holiday Inn parking lot with (in one case) a camper and (other case) a van. No hassles from the Inn.

<p>

March-ish is egretry time, i.e. the herons and egrets are totally nesting and in full plume. It's also a bit more like Disneyworld, so depending on your tolerance for fellow shooters, most who don't know squat about shooting or birds, you'll either be happy or unhappy.

<p>

On Sanibel, I've had the experience of being chased by a snowy egret with a fish, in presentation mode. I was shooting wide and the twit kept getting so close and moved so fast I never nailed it. This was up by the lighthouse on (I think) the south end. The end you get to by turning left once you cross the causeway, at least :)

<p>

Ding Darling refuge is dependent on tides for success, tides which match good light, actually. High tides push stuff closer to where you'll be. The beaches (not just the lighthouse area) and the causeway are also good. Shorebirds are very acclimatized to snowbirds, so you can get close and shoot. But, of course, they're so small that the "six" is still very, very useful.

<p>

With an extension tube. EF25 is the only way to go.

I just came back from Sanibel and highly recommend it. I rented a 300/2.8 and found myself using a 2X extender most of the time so the 600/4 would be a good thing to have. Not having used a big lens before, though, I really learned necessity of a sturdy tripod! If you don't have a really sturdy one, I'd recommend that you rent one along with the lens. That way, you won't feel so annoyed that you spent all that money renting this humongous lens but your pictures may be fuzzy because your tripod can't cope. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from southern Florida a week ago. We tried some different spots as well as the usual. Ding Darling was OK, but dependent on tides and you'd still need a long lens. Two new spots for us that were reasonable was the boardwalk at Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, owned and run by the Audubon Society, and about an hour inland from Sanibel, and the the Big Bend boardwalk at Fakahatchee Strand, off Hwy 41 just a few miles west of the turn-off for Everglades City. Each of these is only 1-2 miles long, good examples of native vegetation, a reasonable number of birds, plus we saw lots of other animals, like gators, turtles and otters. The end of the boardwalk at Big Bend stops at a pool where we saw more variety of birds at one spot then any other.

<p>

But you still can't beat the Anhinga Trail for getting close to birds, and avoiding having to use a 600 lens. I did fine there with 300mm and got plenty of nice portraits. Mrazec Pond in Everglades Park has been a disappointment for me both times I've been to Florida. If you go, make sure it's at sunset...forget sunrise. And we were reasonably pleased taking some bikes down Shark Valley. Got lots of shots of storks and it was the only place we found limpkins.

• 3 weeks later...
Since it sounds like you will be in the south east part of Florida, be sure to check out a new wetland conservation area which has been built (using "re-cycled" water) and is maintained by the local public waterworks. When I "discovered" this place last fall it was still virtually unknown. I saw numerous species of ducks, song birds, shore birds, herons, egrets, roseate spoonbills, turtles, ahingas, etc. There must be at least a 1.5 mile boardwalk around the area. The name escapes me now but it is a long indian (I think) name that starts with a "W". If you are really interested, e-mail me and I will look-up the name at home. You can get there by taking Atlantic Blvd west of Del-ray Beach,then go north on Jog Road (just before the Florida Turnpike). There are no signs advertising the wetland area, just look for the waterworks complex on the east side of Jog Rd. Enjoy your trip. I hope to get back there myself later this spring.

A little late, perhaps, but I found that going late February / early March to be productive for spoonbills and reddish egret...I've been there ealier and had a better time with stork and other species. A 600/4 is the best bet...a converter will help also. There are certainly tame species, but the interesting ones are a bit more camera shy.

We just got back from Florida yesterday. We only had a few days (with one day of rain). Our favourite spot was Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary. A variety of birds, alligators, turtles were congregating around the waterholes adjacent to the boardwalk. My 100-300 lens was more than adequate for the birds in this area (I would have preferred a 300 f4 or 2.8). We went through Sanibel mid afternoon. We found the bird population a little low (maybe we were a bit to early in hte afternoon). Here I would want bigger lenses.

Steve

December and January are good times to go to the Crystal River area (about 2 hours north of Tampa). You and a friend can rent a boat and head down-river into some beautiful wetland areas for about $60 each. I've gotten pelicans, herons, condors and osprey in that area. Eagles and hawks can be seen there also. It isn't as interesting as spring, when the birds are nesting, but there's an added bonus...<p>

If you get an underwater housing or an underwater camera, you can also get Manatee shots. I've heard rumor that the wildlife service is getting more and more strict about approaching the Manatee, however, so make sure you know the rules before you dive. If you do this, you'll need a wet-suit; the water is 72 degrees year-round. If you plan to be on the river at dawn or dusk, take Deet!! <p>

A few warnings from the locals. I've been warned against venturing too far toward the Gulf and getting into brackish water because of the gators. Rumor has it that sharks will come up into the brackish areas too. If you want to travel into these areas, you'd probably do well to get a larger boat and forget about diving. Also, the wetlands are loaded with snakes, so you should stay in the river itself and not do any hiking unless you're with someone who knows exactly what s/he's doing.

<p>

Have fun, and I look forward to seeing your shots on the net!!!

HI,

As far as the 600/4, manual focus, it's great. I lugged one around for about 5 years, but it's heavy...but it's the best one Nikon has built.

Many of the birds are at close range and I used a 400/3.5, and with a 14B converter, as you can also use this with the 600/4, the 400 becomes a 590/4.9, and it weighs one half as much.

Sanibel is great..shore birds, field birds and wading birds...I've found the best time for the Rosette Spoonbills to be at about an hour before sunset, however, the tide has to be just right in order for you to get the target as close as possible...preferably beginng to come in

or at the end of its outward flow. There is also an American crocodile there. Last time I saw it it was in the impoundment side just north of the observation tower and then down the east/west dike.

Yellow crowned night herons should be nesting now and they are very near the one-way road...lots of ospreys and hawks there also.

<p>

There is another rookery and breeding on county property, just south of Venice, and the first road north of Jacaranda Blvd. Turn at the South Couth Annex and follow the road around a quarter of a mile or so. There are many species nesting there, and I think the herons and

cow egrets may still be on the nest. Space is scarce on the island

rookery and the great egrets don't get on the nest until the Great Blues get off. Also Black crowed night Herons nest in the willows surrounding the pond. It's warm here now so I would suggest using one of those shoulder igloo cooler for your film. They stopped making them for a while but I believe they are back on the market now.

Happy shooting,

Chuck

If you want to know the best time to visit Florida to photograph birds, you are going to have to supply a lot more info. Such as, what is your vision-how do you see the world-what do you want to accomplish-how to you shoot, etc.

You don't really give info on what you want other than someone to tell you what to do.

Try looking in the 'photo tour' catagory of ads, look at their scheduling and go then. They are selling tours and want people to get good results. But, if you don't really know what you want, it does not matter.

Rent a 600 f/4? Can you focus it, carry it and even find the subject in such a big lens? Most can't, and it slows them down so much that it is a waste of money. I've watched others try to use them without practice and it is an exercise in frustration. I you really want to use one, get ahold of it beforehand and practice. Everything about your technique has to be sharper with the bigger lens. If you don't develop the 'vision' for the lens and how it portrays the world, all you do is make Kodak & Fuji rich and sit back at home frustrated with the results.

The best time and what time of day? Look at the work you admire and figure out when those folks shot, and shoot at those times. Spend the time on your own. Decide what you want. Don't rely on someone else to decide the light that is best for you. As for bird activity, check the field guides, take a class in bird watching & ornithology or meet some birders and get an appreciation for what it takes.

• 2 months later...

jacksonville, florida is my home as well as st.augustine. i spend a

<p>

great portion of my spare weekends going around the state in

<p>

search of birds and other wildlife to shoot.

<p>

winter or spring are the absolute best in general. this winter

<p>

the glades were too "wet" and the birds were spread thin. keep

records of south fla. weather to see if its worth your trip.

<p>

april and may are breeding months and if you can find good rookeries

<p>

you,ll get great shots of courtship, breeding plumage, nesting

<p>

chicks from birth to fledgings.

<p>

the glades are getting too overrated now. often the touring pros

<p>

will bump you off your spot(it,s happened to me and others) and

<p>

you are left frustrated with no frames shot.

<p>

as far as places go, corkscrew swamp is good in early spring and

<p>

in early am. the park is run by the audubon people and they will

<p>

not allow such treatment of tourists.

<p>

at the same time is merritt island wildlife refuge. good variety

<p>

but a long lens is a necessity.lots of spoonies, ducks and waders.

<p>

venice rookery(behind the police station) is good for waders during

<p>

nesting season.

<p>

go to the bird care facility in key largo. they welcome photographers

<p>

and you can get as close as you want in a natural setting. give them

<p>

a little donation as these folks are doing a massive job of helping

<p>

and saving many waders, raptors and others fron the ravages of

<p>

careless fishermen, developers and tourists.

<p>

in late winter the sandhill cranes invade the gainesville area

<p>

near paynes prairie. if you talk to the rangers at PP they can

<p>

tell you where the groups are feeding and you can get some great

<p>

shots of these beautiful threatened birds. i could go on but

<p>

suffice to say if you need advice on fla. bird shooting, let me

<p>

know and i,ll try to help you plan your trip.

<p>

jeff hallett FL

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I returned from my first-ever Florida bird trip on 3/15/98.

<p>

Six days of shooting in Ding Darling. I was lucky. Got frame filling shots of a gator crunching a cormorant.

<p>

Spoonbills cavorting off the Cross Dike. Spent a couple mornings at the Venice Rookery and got shots of nesting Herons and Egrets with young. I used a 600/4.0 with 1.4 convertor for most shots on the trip.

I am posting this again because I mis-typed my e-mail address the first time --- sorry.

<p>

I returned from my first-ever Florida bird trip on 3/15/98.

<p>

Six days of shooting in Ding Darling. I was lucky. Got frame filling shots of a gator crunching a cormorant.

<p>

Spoonbills cavorting off the Cross Dike. Spent a couple mornings at the Venice Rookery and got shots of nesting Herons and Egrets with young. I used a 600/4.0 with 1.4 convertor for most shots on the trip.

For a totally different type of Florida experience, try the Ichetucknee State Park river/springs in north central Florida. If you're driving on I-75, it's just outside of High Springs, just north of Gainesville (Go Gators!).

<p>

Rent a canoe and take a float trip down the river. You can see some of the most beautiful scenery in Florida, and photograph all types of wildlife all along the river for miles.

<p>

Long lenses are not necessary, the river is quite narrow, and the wildlife is used to people on rafts/canoes. A zoom, 80-200, would be good, as would a 20mm.

<p>

Extreme levels of contrast can be tricky, with bright sunny patches filtering through the dense tree canopy. Late afternoon is best. Most times of the year are good, though weekends can be a bit crowded. But compared to S. Florida, you'll feel like you are alone.

<p>

If you have underwater cameras, try diving the springs. The water is extremely clear. There are also many other springs in the immediate area. Cave divers come from all parts of the world to see explore these springs.

• 5 months later...

I vote for the Anhinga Trail, very close to the entrance to the Everglades. As stated earlier, you will always see Cormorants and Anhingas, several other species of birds, crocs, etc. Sunset is the best time for lighting.

<p>

Mrazek Pond can be a bust or a boon and it's a small area, but I believe it's good at sunrise OR sunset...sunset being the best light. I have some excellent side-lit and back-lit photos taken at sunrise.

<p>

Eco Pond at the Southern tip (Flamingo) is usually a good spot. You'll always see Ibis', Green Herons, and White Herons. Sunrise is best.

<p>

If you have the time, you can start with a sunrise at ECO Pond and across the way to the Bay...then take your time and make your way back North to Mrazek, then Anhinga Trail for a sunset (5 pm in February). I did this one year and (except for Mrazek), it was outstanding.

• 3 months later...

Florida bird photopgraphy can yield spectacular results at some of the

resorts. Sea World in Orlando is a good example. I got great shots of

White Pelicans, Great White & Snowy Egrets, Great Blue Herons, Wood

Storks, White & Scarlet Ibis, many Gull species, Flamingos, even Black

Vultures. They're very tame amd you won't need a monster lens to get a

frame filling shot. Another good spot is Busch Gardens in Tampa with

the added bonus of so many African animals. There though along lens

(600 mm) is helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on doing the FL Trip over Xmas/New Year 98/99:

1. Anhinga Trail in Everglades - very tame birds, very close,

400mm being too large at times.

2. Ding Darling Reserve on Sanibel Island - birds often more wary,

more distant - 600mm+ probably useful.

[both these sites got EXTREMELY busy by mid-morning]

3. Merrit Island NWR near Titusville - comparable to my experience at

Sanibel, and more variety.

4. Shark Valley in the Everglades was a disappointment - low bird

rate.

5. Bird Rehab Center in Tavernier in FL Keys can be excellent if your

ethics dont preclude shots of essentially completely tame "wild"

birds. We were within 4 ft of Wurdemann's phase and white phase

Gt Blue Heron, waiting for food handouts. Here the 400mm was too

long, often.

<p>

Loxahatchee was minimally productive, photographically, and the

Fakahatchee Strand boardwalk was minially productive for anything

except mosquitos. Eco pond in the Everglades had many Ibis (Glossy,

White) and Egrets (Snowy, Cattle) but these was a little distant -

no close views (except Cattle Egret, which you could probably stalk

near any drainage ditch in Southern FL). Mrazek Pond was dead as

the proverbial doornail. Corkscrew Swamp nr Naples had low overall

species count (<30 in ~4 hours) but many birds were tame, with

patience - its pretty dark in there, though.

<p>

With most places, both the light and crowds were indifferent after

10am, though I didnt try them much at sunset.

<p>

Phil

Phil is right, not much action at Eco and Mrazek Pond, besides the

birders and photogs....;^)

<p>

I found my best opportunities on Ahinga, again. The birds are tame

and you get frames filled with a x-400 mm zoom or fix focals etc.....

<p>

Another good place is Merrit Island Nat'l Wildlife Refuge and

Canaveral Nat'l Seashore. It can be a little bit crowded between

Christmas and New Year as on Weekends. Good ops of woodstorks,

herons, gulls, wabblers,ducks, white ibis, all kinds of hawks and

voltures, with luck and patience even bald eagles and much more.

<p>

Take a break at Playa Linda Beach before returning to the birds in

the late afternoon....

Bring everything you own and plenty of time, no kidding ! Don't

forget your bug spray !!!

• 1 month later...

Best time, NOW! Jan-March is a great time to go, birds are migrating South. Many have already arrived. The BEST place that I have ever found in Florida is the Orlando Wetlands Park. I just got back from there 2hours ago and there was no less than 500,000 birds or more. The park is free admission. Location: Drive 40 minutes East of Downtown Orlando on State Road 50 (Colonial) to Christmas,FL. I know, silly name, good park. Go North (left) 2.3 miles on Ft. Christmas Road (County Road 420) and 1.5miles East (right) on Wheeler Road, an unpaved road. Parking area will be on your left.

HOURS: 7am until 1/2hr. before sunset, seven days a week, January21-September 30th. (Closed October 1 - January 20).

If you want to go, call and I'll take you on a tour. If not, you may recieve a guided tour by calling Naturalist at (407)246-2348. This is a must see, very open, very beautiful. If you never saw a bird there, it would be worth it.

Jeff Moler

jamit@mindspring.com

Yes, now (late February) is the best time to photograph birds in Florida. I was there exactly a year ago and have finally written a short article about photographing at the Venice Rookery for this Nature Forum: <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/photo/nature/venice.html">

http://www.photo.net/photo/nature/venice.html</A>. During that trip, I ran into Arthur Morris at Ding Darling and then Joe McDonald at the Venice Rookery.

• 2 months later...

One person before me also mentioned the Wild Bird Center in Key Largo (actually Tavernier, just south of K.L.) It is SO WONDERFUL - the birds are so tame, I never drove to the Everglades (Anhinga Trail) as planned after photographing there. Go around 8 am or 5 pm when the staff feeds the crowd that shows up then. (They have birds in cages, which are hard to photograph, but they get tons of freeloaders that just fly in.)

This weekend I'm going to the St. Augustine Alligator Farm to photograph nesting birds. Have heard it's great.

The Anhinga Trail, Ding, and Venice are always great. I haven't been to Corkscrew but hear it's great. Merritt birds are a little shy, but there are a lot of neat sunrise/early morning artsy shots that can be found if you look for reeds, water, etc. Fewer people, too. There are also birds around Cape Canaveral.

• 10 months later...

Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area is great for eagles, crested caracaras and many others. You need a rugged car though because there are some dirt roads that lead to Lake Kissimmee that can be rough. Access via Canoe Creek Road. It's south of Orlando and Kissimmee. Anyone who is serious can contact me via e-mail. I live fairly close by. e-mail:

cyclist2@strato.net

• 1 month later...

I found the best time to go to Florida was in the middle of may. This is peak nesting time. Found the best place was Alligator Farm in St Augustine. About at least 3-400 pairs of your typical nesting birds. Lenses needed 600,300mm. Also rookery at the back of police station in Venice, need a 600mm here. Also Merritt Island near Cape Canaveral.

http://www.geocities.com/glen_gaffney/