gina_marie1

Hello, I did a search for similar posts but didn't find much info. So far most

of our engagement photo shoots have been in the late afternoons and the

lighting has worked out very well. However, I'm interested in some areas that

may be a better fit for morning shoots. In general, is there a 'best' time of

morning hour to shoot in?

Thanks for any advice,

Gina

I'd recommend going and scouting the specific locations you're interested in. Go hang for a

couple hours when the sun comes up and get a feel for how the scene looks and what you

can use for backdrops with the couple while snapping some test shots and stuff. A lot

depends on the location, time of the year, the weather, etc... Also remember it might be kind

of hard getting some people to meet you somewhere at the crack of dawn for a photo

shoot :-)

You do know that the time and the lengthe of sunrise and sunset is different depending on your location/ season of the year? I'd go out and give it a try a while before your shoot.

You could try asking on the nature photography forum. Somebody probably will have a table with the different stages of sunrise and sunset.

Shooting females (I know broad sexist generalization) this early has physiological consequences. Mostly to do with hair, makeup and general puffy face issues. I have helped on a few early morning glamor shoots and it was typical to be on location at 2 hours before sunrise to get everybody together and looking their best when the old sun ball made his apperance.

I know this is a different kettle of fish but, a puffy face customer will not purchase too many pictures, PS all you want,it a tuff deal.

Sunsets are the better option IMHO.

If you're in an urban or suburban area the air in the early morning is usually clearer, and the shadows will be harsher and more distict. Pollutants added to the atmosphere throughout the day from automobiles and industry tend to create a bit of haze by evening. This can also add a nice rosey glow to the sky.

some people stop after an hour, but sometimes that is the best time to start. I like to use flash with daylight to augment it all to get very well lit scenes, that way there are never raccoon eyes or anything like that. Sometimes high noon can look great if you augment the sun with an on camera flash and will look very current. Everything flatly lit and fairly saturated with the faces perfectly lit as well...so shoot early, but don't worry too much if it drags out, just bring flashes with you.

If you have to shoot in the morning, I like mid morning, and not high noon. The reasoning behind that is that at noon, the sun is mostly directly overhead, causing those black raccoon eye shadows. Mid-morning, the sun usually has some directionality to it for those shots where you don't have shade or tree cover or some other modifier. If you know an area very well, the different directionality of the sun can make the use of specific backgrounds possible while impossible in late afternoon. I would scout the specific location at the time you had in mind. For instance, at a particular place I often use, a waterfall is in shade in the mid-morning and can be used as a nice background because the light is the same as on the subjects. In the later afternoon, the light is blasting onto the waterfall, making it necessary to use fill flash on the subjects. Right before sunset, the light is soft, and is great for no-flash shots.