Best sports lens for canon 40d camera

leila_griffiths

<p>I can't speak for Canon lenses but if that was a Nikon selection I'd be taking the 70-200 f2.8 for night shooting. The extra reach of the 100-400 will be comprised by the incredibly slow (compared to f2.8) f5.6 aperture at the long end. At least with the 70-200 you will get shots that will be able to freeze the action to a large degree than you will be able to crop if required.<br>

I'd take the 135 f2 as well.</p>

<p>Thanks very much so do you reckon the canon 28-300mm f3.5-5.6L would be too slow as well?<br>

so its either the canon 28-300mm f3.5-5.6L<br>

the canon 135mm f2L (totally love this lens),<br>

canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L<br>

canon 200mm f2L (im wondering if this would be too heavy....im a slender female)<br>

I can only hire one :s</p>

<p>so In conclusion, bareing in mind Im slim, young female ( referring to the weight of handholding these beast of a lens)....<br>

I should hire out the canon 300mm f2.8 IS L?<br>

or the canon 200mm f2? or f2.8L?<br>

or the canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L ?<br>

I have narrowed it down to four lens now...hehe we are making progress....which one would you personally choose in my position?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would definetly go with the 300 f2.8.<br>

With rugby fields being larger in size, you're going to need the extra reach so that you're not running up and down the field.<br>

The 300/2.8 is the standard sports lens for large field sports events(This and the 400/2.8)<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p>Sorry you didn't get the job. Maybe next time.</p>

<p>Personally I would not use a 300 mm lens alone for Rugby. A lot of the action takes place near the sidelines (scrums, line outs and attacking down the wing). A 300mm lens is not big enough to cover the entire field so I would stay with the 70-200 on the basis that it would be more flexible when the action is close. That's my thoughts anyway.</p>