Best size for images?

jo_johnson2

<p>I am attempting to build a photo blog / gallery using wordpress and need some assistance on the optimum image size. </p>

<p>I shoot raw and develop using Lightroom. When I export for web I assume that LR will be creating the best sizes for me. As it turns out they are much larger than I need. If there are any best practices or rules as far as size I can't seem to locate them easily. Any assitance will be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Jo</p>

<p>Depending on your layout, it is better to resize your images to fit how you want them to fit the template. I use a blind(non-public) blog on wordpress to test out things I want to do and then roll them over to the active one when I have it figured out. Just test different sizes and how they look to you.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>When I export for web I assume that LR will be creating the best sizes for me. As it turns out they are much larger than I need.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can of course tell Lightroom what sizes (dimensions) and what image-quality (file sizes) you prefer it to process your images for the web etc... Look out for the File Sizing, Image Sizing, Output Sharpening and Metadata choices seen in the Lightroom File > Export user dialog screen.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone! </p>

<p>Wordpress has an 8mb limit for images and some of mine are coming out to 10-12mb. Plus if I open them in a window they are huge. The shadowbox plug in is helping as it will resize the image to the monitor, but I think that an image that large is not necessary and adds some significant load time. I just assumed that there were standards or best practices available but can't seem to find the resources. </p>

<p>Thanks for the tip on LR export. This is all new to me so I'll look at that a little more closely. I really appreciate the help. Any further tips and tricks will be graciously accepted!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jo, why would you want to upload images that big? Most people size an image for the page layout (in the 600-700 pixel wide range), compress it at about 7-9 quality jpeg and are done with it. Having it click as large as you mention on the web seems like overkill--unless you are hoping for critique on some post processing or something. Images this size are also easily lifted for other uses.</p>

<p>Where I have seen images that can be clicked on to enlarge, they rarely are bigger than 1000 pixels across, which is approaching full screen for many. (an uncompressed image, 35mm dimensions, at 1500dpi-which is probably already overkill-- is just 8mb and would be substantially smaller converted to jpg!)</p>

<p>Just wondering........</p>

<p>The images on my website are either 600 x 600 pixels square or 750 x 500 pixels. They are amply large enough - some might say large enough to represent a risk. They average 300kb with a range of 200-400 kb, which seems to me to be enough.</p>

<p>It would help if you thought in pixels rather than megabytes for this purpose, since thats the currency that relates best to how big the images will appear on screen.</p>