Best settings on E-500 for shooting sports

dan_b.4

<p>I am disappointed in how slow the E-500 autofocuses, even in "sport" mode. Using manual focus is no alternative, either, as it takes too much movement of the focusing ring to adequately capture sports. Any E-500 users out there who have found optimal settings for shooting sports action in daylight? I'll be shooting a variety of sports, including baseball, softball, tennis, cheer and track and field.</p>

<p>OK, lets start by saying that I've never shot sports action with a digital; that said, I shot alot of sports subjects in my stints at 3 different newspapers with 35mm cameras, and a few basic concepts are going to be the same.</p>

<p>Sports action requires a fast shutter speed, thus at least ASA 400 film, and, often, a powerful strobe to do good work and end up with sharp photos. I often found it best to focus at the hyperfocal distance for my medium length tele and shoot that way unless the action was going to take place at a fixed point, such as getting a good shot of the extra point kicker, etc.</p>

<p>My favorite strobes for this work were a Strobonar 682 or a Graflex Strobo 500. I prefered the 682 because it used 6 AA batteries instead of the very expensive HV unit of the 500. Either of these units gave me good negatives all the way across the field if necessary. I still have and use 2 Strobonar 682's.</p>

<p>So it boils down to: set your "film" speed hiigh, use shutter speed prefered setting with as high a shutter speed as you can for your subject, and zone focus unless the action is taking place at a set location. Good luck and have fun!!! :)</p>

<p>I have an E-500, I never use the sport mode (call it SP lite mode). I will use Program or Shutter Priority, but more importantly I set the camera to only use the middle focus point. Makes a world of difference. I'll also set it to S-MF in case it doesn't focus down fast enough for me and I don't feel like waiting for it to hunt.</p>

<p >Daniel, </p>

<p > </p>

<p >As you are aware, when shooting sports, the E-series auto-focus will not cut the mustard. When I shoot sports with the E-3, I use a manual focus lens; there is much more control and faster preset focus. <br /><br />Vick’s suggestions for shooting sports holds true for both film and digital. And depending upon the type of sports, whether it is indoors or out, shooting with an E-series will require a fast lens, high shutter speed, low ISO of 400 or less (eliminate noise) and a tripod.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Presetting the focus is the trick, and this involves considerable experience/practice. For example: In baseball, there may be a fast base-stealer on first with the game expectation of him making the steal. Pre-focus on second base. With the E-3, I set for fast sequential shooting of 5fps. Practice this technique and you can’t go wrong.</p>

<p>Well baseball isn't much different to cricket...when I was using the E500 for cricket shots, (and now with the E3) I basically focused in on a spot, say the batter, and then used burst mode to get the action. On a decent sunny day, choose a shutter speed of 1/1000 or faster with a maximum aperture possible (2.8 or better). ISO on the E500 should not be greater than 320 as you get noise creeping in.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have the olympus 500 and 510 and neither really cuts it for action shots. I also have the e-30 with the new swd lenses and while I've never shot sports that would be the way to go if you choose to stay with olympus and shoot sports.<br>

I love olympus and it's all I shoot but If I was shooting sports I would most likely need to jump ship to cannon or nikon. better lens options and contunious focusing modes</p>