<p>Could someone name me some really good quality scanners with high DPIs?<br>

Also, which is better--a regular scanner or a flatbed?</p>

<p>Also--What is the best scanning software program? I'm looking at Adobe Photoshop CS5 and Premier they're in the $200+ range. Which Adobe Photoshop program (CS5, Premier, Elements, Lightroom) is the best?<br>

Are there any other, cheaper scanning/photo archival programs?</p>

<p>I'd ONLY be dealing with color 3x5 and 4x6 photos, not negatives or slides.</p>

<p>best scanner = Imacon Flextight X5</p>

<p>best scanner for paper, print etc.. any scanner that you can afford.. i like epson.</p>

<p>All the software you mention are really different to each other;</p>

<p>photoshop CS5 is the big daddy of the photo editing world</p>

<p>photoshop element is the second best runner that fit most people budget will being able to do most of what CS5 do.</p>

<p>photoshop premiere is for video.</p>

<p>photoshop lightroom is a digital asset management - editing - slideshow-web-print software..</p>

<p>the best digital darkroom for me will be to get a wacom tablet with photoshop element for 150$ + lightroom for 200$ (or 300$?)</p>

<p>The best scanners are drum scanners and production ccd scanners like Creo Eversmart which are large and heavy high precision machines, but since you are scanning small photos you don't need anything like that, just a normal flatbed scanner like a Canoscan will do perfectly fine. For the purpose of scanning small prints, you don't need photoshop either. Try the program that comes with the scanner first. If thats insufficient you could get hold of an old version of Photoshop elements. If you buy a Canoscan, an older Photoshop elements version is included.</p>