Best Russian rangefinder

bstinshoff

I agree with Michael in that it is a bit of a lottery. I've had a dozen different Leica copies and each had a different issue. Nothing serious but annoying stuff. I'd say the later models (Fed 4 and 5) are more modern and often more reliable right out of the "Box" but the earlier (Fed 1 & 2) are better made and more Leica like. The Fed 3 is an odd duck with two versions but mine was the best of the Fed bunch I've had.

The Zorkis are usually a better made camera. The 1 and 2 are nice and the most like an early Leica. In fact a lot of fake Leicas start their life as a Zorki 1. BTW, I'd advise to stay away from the fakes. They are pretty but seldom work with any degree of reliability. From 2c on (3,4 etc) they get heavy and clunky. Many like them but I have to say I'm not in that camp. Here is a link to a post of mine with some snapshots with my Zorki 1. I love this camera for the fun it brings to picture taking although I don't use it very often. If you want a fun, fairly well made FSU Leica copy I'd recommend the Zorki 1 or 2.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00LoVz

If you want a real FSU rangefinder that is an excellent camera try the Kievs. They started out as a rebadged Contax II/III and evolved little from that. I've had a few of these and can recommend the Kiev 3a or 4a. The 2 is the earliest model, often commands a price higher than a real Contax and often can contain real Contax parts. They are all like the Contax II/IIa. Sort of...try to stay pre 1970 (the first two digets of the serial number tell you the year) as the quality is a little lacking after that.

I used my Kiev 4a a lot before finding my Contax II and IIIa and still keep it as a back-up. I can recommend these for sure. However, if you have a lot invested in Leica lenses and want to be able to use them on the FSU camera then the Zorki is the way to go.

Good luck, hope this helps a little.

I love my Kievs. Nice German prewar (Contax) camera and lenses, made originally on the original German equipment (taken as war reparations). The Soviet contributions to design were mostly improvements, but the Soviet push for quantity, not quality, means some "variation" in performance. I think the late models can be just as good as the early ones, but a really "mint" example may be so because it didn't work for the original purchaser out of the box.

I also got a nice "red"(leatherette) FED, and it is a nice camera. That is, nice if you really like how early Leicas worked. I find that I am more of a Contax person in that great and eternal divide.

The *new* Fed 5's are probably the most reliable out of the box and come with the Industar 61L which is probably the very best FSU lens ever made. The first Fed and Zorkis are nicest since they are almost exact Leicas and a coated Fed 50 Elmar knockoff is probably better than the real thing... but these are old and all mine have perpetual problems. As just a great cheap user I think the Zorki 4's have charm and capability... big bright finder w/diopter correction and 1/1000th speed... seem reliable too! Also, I think the quality of the lower tier lenses is better than the faster Jupiter-8's etc... the crappy FSU coatings are good enough for Tessar clones, but not the more exotic formulations. The Fed 2 is kind of nice too. I'm not the biggest Kiev fan... pretty Contax knock offs, but heavy cameras, many unreliable... not to mention quirky speed setting.

watch out, they get addicting!!!

<P>I agree about the Kiev. I have the Kiev 4 and though it works, and the lens is pretty good, it seems an over complex camera. For instance I find the infinity lock fascinating but is it really necessary?</P><P>In the Zorki line-up, I favour the 3M. It's got all the refinements of the Zorki 4 except flash sync, plus it's a much better looking camera. And operation is simplicity itself compared to a Kiev.</P>

I was able to get a FED 4 with the Industar 61 and a WORKING light meter (calibrated in GOST)for a song (the Internationale, I think it was). It's actually a very nice camera, but they mean when they say you should put on the lens cap before rewinding the film.

Zorki 3M, classic styling, large and bright viewfinder, diopter adjustment, 1/1000s max shutter speed.

Rarer than most Russian RF cameras, which may be a consideration if you ulitimately want to sell it to someone else.

Kievs have their one unique charm. Try to look for a pre 1960 camera, qc fell off rapidily during the 60's and 70's. 50's era Kievs are the most Contax like and hence more desireable.

Best,

Ross