Best Rechargeable AA and AAA batteries?

tom_collins3

<p>Does anyone have any recommendations for good rechargeable AA or AAA batteries to be used in a Canon 430 EXII and Cactus V4 wireless triggers? I have been using standard energizers but they're not holding a charge anymore so I'm in the market for some new batteries (and I'm sure there are some better brands out there specifically for photographers). Any help is much appreciated!</p>

<p>Sanyo Eneloops, for me. But just as (or even more) importantly: get a real charger that doesn't roast the batteries in 15 minutes, and which charges <em>each battery individually</em>. La Crosse and Maha are two makers. Can't emphasize enough how important the quality charger is.</p>

<p>[[i have been using standard energizers but they're not holding a charge anymore]]</p>

<p>The more important question is: what charger are you using? Using a "high speed" or even a very basic charger (where batteries are not charged individually) is the best way I know to ruin NiMH's. (Well short of running them over with a tank, I guess). </p>

<p>Buy Sanyo Eneloop's if you want low self-discharge NiMH's that you can charge and forget about. Buy MAHA PowerEx high-capacity (2700 mAH) if you don't mind recharging the night before and you need the extra capacity.</p>

<p>Personally, I'm using Eneloop's in almost everything that takes an AA battery in my house, including cameras.</p>

<p>This is the charger I'm using, and it's very possibly the problem - <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BCG-34HRMF4-Battery-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B0002IOIMQ/ref=dp_ob_title_ce">http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BCG-34HRMF4-Battery-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B0002IOIMQ/ref=dp_ob_title_ce</a><br>

My general habit pattern is to charge the night before anyway, and I could definitely use the higher capacity so I'll check into the MAHA PowerEX batteries. Just curious, how much lower capacity do the Eneloops have? </p>

<p>Just about any NiMH battery will work well in a camera that you use a lot, and remember to recharge them before use. However, they lose about 15% of their charge a week, even if you don't use them. Eneloop (or similar) batteries with a low self-discharge rate work better for occasional use, and hold up nearly as well as non-rechargible or Li-Ion batteries. I've mostly switched over to Eneloop batteries. The capacity of newer versions is 2400 mAH - close to the high-performance standard NiMH batteries.</p>

<p>Radio remotes have a very low current draw, so shelf life is the main concern. I don't bother with rechargibles, instead use alkaline or lithium batteries.</p>

<p>NiMH batteries will withstand hundreds (or thousands) of charging cycles. Most chargers, however, work with pairs of batteries, and go to trickle mode as soon as the higher one is fully charged. If one is lower, it never receives a full charge. In use, it is the weakest battery that determines the life in the application. The disparity gets worse with time.</p>

<p>The solution is to buy a charger that monitors individual batteries. Though pricey, a Maha 8-battery charger saved the day for me. Right up front, it quickly illustrated what I suspected - every other battery was only half-charged. Now, they behave like new after each charge.</p>

<p>Don't let NiMH batteries (or Li-Ion either) go into deep discharge. They won't work after that, and can't be rejuvinated, even with a Maha charger.</p>