Best prime lens for DSLR portrait photography?

rj lorenzini

I'll second Adam for the 55mm f/2.8 micro - nice bokeh. But... maybe too sharp for some subjects?

When that's not long enough, the 75-150mm f/3.5 Series E - very nice bokeh. Also very sharp.

I guess Photoshop has enough ways to "fix" a portrait with too much fine detail. So, "too sharp" isn't a problem any more.

M. Bradtke covered it all.

I might add the 58/1.2 Noct (don't own one, can't afford one at the moment) if you are lucky enough to find one.

Personally, I like the CZJ Biotar 75/1.5 that I modified for a Nikon F mount.

These (58mm and 75mm) focal lengths are not thrown in here because they are odd lengths for Nikon. I mention them beacuse of the suitability to the cropped APS-C sized sensor.

I'm gonna say what I like best. What you might like, I don't know. For what it's worth here goes: 50 mm AF-D f/1.8. The best all around. For closer crop, such as face portraits, the 85 mm 1.8 fits the bill very well.

When Nikon will have a FF DSLR, then and only then, you might think about a 105 mm.

Have fun!

I'm partial to the 50mm. Most of the time I use the f1.4 because I like the little bit of extra brightness but I sometimes use the f1.8.

On a digital body, the working distance and perspective fit the sort of pictures I like to shoot - headshots of kids. I'd usually use some thing longer for adults.<div>00GrMd-30450384.thumb.jpg.cb67dfb81a8d51a23c573ca7b419399d.jpg</div>

KL IX - are you kidding about the 50mm 1.4 having harsh bokeh? i strongly disagree.

Robert, i suggest you try this lens out and decide for yourself. shoot it wide open and

judge the bokeh for yourself. i absolutely love mine and think it's well worth the $300.