Best price on a 5D

wade_rose

If you're still shopping, I can get you one for exactly half what anyone else costs! Of course shipping is via quantum tunnel on a slow photon junket from another dimension, but you can't beat the price :-)

Seriously, buying from a GOOD vendor is far more important than chasing the lowest price. I've been dealing with the same mail order/on-line vendor for nearly three decades and I've never had a problem with them.

Originally I would pick a vendor from the back pages of Modern or Pop Photo, but as I got burned one-by-one, I stuck with the one who never caused me a problem -- who, incidentally, is perenially among the lowest price vendors for a lot of gear.

Bruce

I buy perhaps 90% of my things from B&H. I have yet to have them make a mistake on an order. They are actually quite reasonable, but above all they are reliable. (Their server has been down much of the day. They are always closed on the Sabbath until 9:30 p.m., but usually the servers are up and one can browse.)

Amazon gives quite a range of products, even though they often work through Adorama or 17th St. Photo, or someone else. I've had no problems with Adorama on new products.

Although I bought my two zooms for the 5D from B&H, I actually bought the 5D body from KEH.COM in Atlanta, which is primarily known as a very good place to get used lenses and some used bodies, but I got the 5D there new for $2579 after rebate. I just put my rebate things in the mail yesterday for both the 5D and the two zooms.

I wonder what Canon is going to announce in late August. I wonder also if it is a good idea to buy now without waiting to see what is coming.

--Lannie

Giampi, I can sure appreciate the fact that Samy's needs to "make a living", but it is not our job to see to it. If Samy's wants to stick around they'll have to do what everyone else does: stay competitive...it's not our problem that hey have a brick & mortar building to pay a mortgage or lease on, nor all the other overhead they have.

I'm not one of these idealists that believes on keeping the mom & pop camera places up and wheezing....and you'd be surprised at how good and fast some of these internet low ball sites can be....most are trouble as we all know, but not all of them.

Supply and demand. Competition. The brick & mortar stores have some real problems, but it's not our job to keep them afloat by paying 10% - 30% more then we otherwise could if we buy out of state, and online.

And besides, many of these places will lie to you just to make the sale, and often will push what they have in inventory instead of pushing what is really needed by the customer....oftne these places are a source of lies, superstitions in the single goal of getting your hard earned money.

Better to do your own research, and buy out of state, and online. Otherwise you'll be paying 10% - 40% more and over time that really adds up!

Before you buy, certainly check out Photo.net's neighbor-to-neighbor section for merchant reviews.

As for me, I wouldn't hesitate buying from any of these merchants:

B&H

Adorama

KEH

Calumet Photo (priced higher than above but well stocked)

Wolf/Ritz (certainly not the best price but a dependable retailer)