Best pratice for removing minox film caps

john_robison3

<p>The title says it all. Just received my (27 years past exp date) minox color negative film. I want to extract and dispose of the film and reload with B&W. I see there are 2 two clips 180 degrees apart on the feed and take-up caps on the cartridge. Is there some trick to remove the caps safely so as to minimize potential damage to the cartridge?</p>

<p>Any hints from Minox shooters will be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks, John R.</p>

<p>Yeah! I found Donald Krehbiel's excellent site. Maybe I'm not good at what words to put into a search engine. Anyway, bookmarked now. Good grief, Minox cartridges are THIN! I mean really really thin. After I got the caps off I see these color negative carts have felt on one side with tiny ridges opposite the felt in both the feed and take up chamber. The 36 exp load was exactly 23.125 inches long, now I have a reference for length. I have one cartridge of Agfapan 400 that is *only* 25 years past exp. date. I shrugged and loaded it in the camera. What could possibly go wrong? I also notice this is the only film camera I've been able to carry in a shirt pocket. At 72g (2.5oz.) with film it is hardly noticeable.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You are probably right Martin! But it is just one roll so I figured, why not, I could be surprised. I'll soup it in my standard developer, HC-110 at 1:60 @ 11 minutes at 20C. Halfway through the roll now. Now that I have my film cutter ready I'll load some Pan F for the next roll. I might go to Blue Moon Camera tomorrow. It is a 230 mile round trip but there is plenty of other things to do in Portland. I'm a rather eager to try the Delta 100, it could became my standard film with the Minox. I've also found I don't care for the chain on the camera. I just like to slip it into my shirt pocket, without the case either. I do think Ill look for a belt case with a velcro closure flap top.</p>