surprised at how well simple inexpensive cameras perform. After cleaning up

the shutter and lens on a 57 year old Argus FA, I loaded it and went out to

shoot a roll at Fort Point beneath the Golden Gate Bridge. I was amazed at the

quality of the images (my scanner doesn't do justice, though). On the opposite

side, a recent roll run through my old, and rather expensive, Leica IID with a

cosmetically excellent Elmar of similar vintage, produced images rivalled only

by a top performing Diana. Of course, I refer to the imaging performance of

the cameras and not the photographers here. So, perhaps the "Worst pictures

from the best cameras" isn't as interesting.

Now I'm off to shoot a roll with my Perfex Speed Candid.

David

Almost any post by Gene M. with the exception of his posts featuring images from Speed Graphics or Rolleis are really a testament to what can be coaxed out of some of the crappiest cameras ever produced. I personally dont have any relavant images, but a friend of mine spent a great deal of time fixing light leaks and calibrating the focus on his Holga to get some really amazingly sharp and beautiful images. The only giveaway to the origin of the images was the dark corners!

Nice cannon... Ive heard that the Argus cameras often sported excellently sharp lenses to make up for their terrible body designs. ;)

Gene's site is remarkable. Sorry I hadn't seen it before. Gives me added impetus to load up more of my really crappy cameras. It's also a site that should be required for anyone searching for the "best camera" that will permit them to make the great photograph. It ain't the camera usually.

Some say a Flexaret is a very bad camera with crappy mechanics and always shoot pictures with a lot of flare because of the lack of a good coating on the lens. Well, next shot show us an example of a photo taken with a Flexaret VI. Not bad I guess. I scanned it with a Epson 4990 and did no adjustments of any kind.<div>00LTw8-36945984.thumb.jpg.fc6956390d3384c13b7036278037fa67.jpg</div>

Gene,

I wasn't able to run through the many cameras on your site, but the Time was one of them. Placing vintage cameras of all types (junk and high end classics) together with photos taken by them is a great idea. I still think new people to film photography should be directed to your site. Complimenti, Signore.

Uncle Goose, Nice shot.

David