Best photo books post - add a book...

<p><b>Link Removed</b></p>

<p>Enter a comment here (or on the post itself) and let us know what book(s) you think should be added to the list.</p>

<p>If you don't want to follow the link, no worries, the books thus far are:</p>

<p>Understanding Exposure<br>

The Negative<br>

Perfect Picture Practice<br>

The Photographer's Eye<br>

The Digital Photography Book<br>

The Hot Shoe Diaries<br>

Clean<br>

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain</p>

<p>For a beginner or as a review for a more advanced photographer:</p>

<p>Understanding Photography Field Guide by Bryan Peterson</p>

<p>National Geographic Complete Photography</p>

<p>LIFE Guide to Digital Photography by Joe McNally</p>

<p>Take Your Best Shot by Popular Photography</p>

<p>I bought John Shaw's "Focus on Nature" many years ago and still enjoy thumbing through it and reading the short segments about how each photo was made. There are some negative comments about it on Amazon because it is from the film era....uh, OK.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Please do not use Photo.net to increase traffic to your amazon referral account. Photo.net is a great place to have a discussion about photography books. It is not a great place to attempt to get free advertising.</p>

<i>Avedon at Work: In the American West</i>. By Laura Wilson. Photo-based storytelling at its finest,

documenting Avedon's epic road trip shooting the west. Wilson was one of Avedon's assistants and took

some amazing pictures of Avedon engaging his subjects, and chronicled the series with stories and

anecdotes.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>I like a few though I'm still looking for more inspiring books.<br>

A mixture of inspiration, composition and (non-hardware-related but shooting) technique.</p>

<p>The following are pretty OK:</p>

<ul>

<li>Zen and the Magic of Photography (Rowe)</li>

<li>Within the Frame (Duchemin)</li>

<li>The Complete Photographer (Tom Ang)</li>

</ul>

<p>I'm also looking for books on subjects like design<br>

"Picturebooks" I like are by Alexander Rodchenko / Edward Weston / Imogen Cunningham.</p>

<p>[by the way: Good subject for a thread!]</p>

<p>I like books of photos, and what I also like is that the photographer and/or critics/friends/etc. have essays in virtually all of the books. By reading about how the photographer views their photography, or how others view that photographer's work, I find I learn a lot regarding how to think about my photography, what I want to do for new projects, and how to look at it after it's done. I read a bunch of how-to books when I started, but I didn't keep them because there's no lasting value to me, I did like the Avedon at Work book that Brad references. Here's a few books with text and images I have found interesting for learning how to look at what I'm doing:</p>

<p>Mario Giacomelli: <em>Mario Giacomelli</em> (monograph by Phaidon)<br>

Joan Sinclair: Pink Box - <em>Inside Japan's Sex Clubs</em><br>

Abbas: <em>Allah O Ahkbar</em><br>

Marcey Jacobson: <em>The Burden of Time</em></p>

<p>And there are ones that don't have much text that also say far more about shooting than most text, for example, I recommend to anyone shooting rock shows that they pick up Edward Colver's <em>Blight at the End of a Funnel</em>.</p>